Using a real bass

- ask away
Phune
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Using a real bass

Post by Phune »

Have you ever thought to use a real bass in your tracks?!?!
Does anyone of you do it?
I've heard a band live tonight and i was fascinated by the sound of an electric bass..it sounded really good and fat as well.
Hope this will give birth to a good discussion..
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Using a real bass

Post by Barfunkel »

Bass guitar can sound really great on electronic music if done correctly. I don't have any techno examples, but in house music I especially
like Alan Braxe & Fred Falke's productions. Cheesy french house, yes, but so well made and the funky basslines are played by Fred Falke with his bass guitar.

I've been planning on learning how to play for AGES, but for some reason I haven't. Probably mostly due to the difficulty of recording instruments with mics in a home environment. Although bass doesn't sound that bad when DI'd.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

my mate tom ellis plays bass guitar on his tracks, also when he's playing live.

really funks it up.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I have a few larry heard tracks that have live bass on. sounds so good.
tannhauser
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by tannhauser »

I remember watching a FutureMusic Magazine interview with Joris Voorn that featured one of his tracks and how he made it with a bass guitar. Can't find the full video, I might have it lying around here on disc but here is a preview of it.

http://www.vimeo.com/8862875

I distinctly remember him saying that for the main bassline he recorded the same pattern twice. Hard panned one to the left, and one to the right, and that this created problems when playing out in mono but that it didn't matter because no one plays out in mono anymore.

Very cool video anyway if you manage to find it, It made me want a bass guitar an awful lot!
Sphere42
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sphere42 »

tannhauser wrote: I distinctly remember him saying that for the main bassline he recorded the same pattern twice. Hard panned one to the left, and one to the right, and that this created problems when playing out in mono but that it didn't matter because no one plays out in mono anymore.
THIS is what something I'm thinking about these days. Is it really that relevant "rule" these days?

Back on topic, I love real bass sounds, as it's full of little fret sounds, and details in overall sounds that cannot be synthesized or replicated.

Witch leads me to a question? What do you prefer? Bass played through the whole track, or recorded/looped 1/2/4 bars?
Alex Bizzaro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alex Bizzaro »

I used a real bass in one of my last tracks....If I remember this night I'll upload some cuts.
However I didn't play all the track with the bass...I recorded 1, 2 bar.
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

Ive used a real bass in quite a few of my unreleased bits, cant play properly yet but can work out a riff an jam it a few times before looping the best bits. I found I can get a really nice effect if I HPF the bass and layer a synth sub bass underneath, def a great tool for forcing you to play your hooks in different ways