Sequentix-Cirklon.

- ask away
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Sequentix-Cirklon.

Post by Opuswerk »

for such a budget (~1000€), is there a modular sequencing system one could build that also sends MIDI out with dedicated outputs? What i really liked about this one, is that it seemed to me a great way to do livesets and recalling patterns and sending program changes on the fly.
As fascinated as i am by all the modular world, i'm far from ready to take the plunge, and i was lucky enough to play with a great modular sequencing system.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Opuswerk wrote:for such a budget (~1000€), is there a modular sequencing system one could build that also sends MIDI out with dedicated outputs? What i really liked about this one, is that it seemed to me a great way to do livesets and recalling patterns and sending program changes on the fly.
As fascinated as i am by all the modular world, i'm far from ready to take the plunge, and i was lucky enough to play with a great modular sequencing system.
the thing about modular sequencing is that it can be unconvetional, you can build it how you want. the Cirklon is a conventional sequencer, and to me totally un-interesting, too much in menus, (by the time you change tracks your tune has moved on) with a modular set-up you would have all the real time controls in front of you, you have instant access to any parameter at any time.

for that sort of money you couldnt build a modular sequencer that would compete with the Cirklon if you were working mostly in midi, but if you have a modular / CV set-up, its the other way round, because your mod. sequencer will be totally integrated into your set-up, for feedback into the sequence.

this is why i said it wouldnt really be of interest to modular guys,
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

steevio wrote: .......the thing about modular sequencing is that it can be unconvetional, you can build it how you want......
What I liked about your setup was the duplicate A155, A154 etc.. and the ways that you could modulate them together. Just those sequencers are powerful enough, but add some envelopes and it really is limitless. It is so free from my mindset of ITB grid sequencing.
Since seeing your setup I haven't been able write any music!

I have been lusting after a A155 setup, but now I am trying to build a clone with some help with someone from Muffs'.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

lem wrote:
steevio wrote: .......the thing about modular sequencing is that it can be unconvetional, you can build it how you want......
What I liked about your setup was the duplicate A155, A154 etc.. and the ways that you could modulate them together. Just those sequencers are powerful enough, but add some envelopes and it really is limitless. It is so free from my mindset of ITB grid sequencing.
Since seeing your setup I haven't been able write any music!

I have been lusting after a A155 setup, but now I am trying to build a clone with some help with someone from Muffs'.
hey Lem, how are you doing man ?
did you buy any modules from EMIS when you got back to Brizzle ?
nice meeting you bro.

good luck on the Clone mate,
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

Yeah I'm all good thanks boy! Have been really busy with work, so I haven't had much time to write any music. I have been working on modular designs though. I have working sequential switches, logic gates, clock dividers and a 8 step sequencer! I haven't tried it with my Doepfer yet, its all still in the Lab at the moment.
On the bench I have a Serge Voltage controlled slope, (gonna DIY a Maths methinks!) and this clone sequencer. Although the sequencer is just at planning stage at the moment. When its done its going to be a combo of the A155 and A154 in (hopefully) 20hp. As I noticed that the CV knobs don't need to be accessed easily, I thought I could compact it a bit more. I was also going to put output jacks on each step, rather than the external CV inputs. I am trying to build it in such a way that it will be easy to build a second or maybe a third.
I have been thinking that the money I save on gate modules can be saved for audio things like Tiptop Oscillators, (which sounded lush in your studio btw) and some decent filters. Oh and Quad Envelopes and.... :roll:

I couldn't buy any modules from EMIS as they were closed on Wednesday. Shame for them really as I would have almost definately bought some sequencing stuff. Now I am fixated on building my own sequencer bits, but I do check Muffs every now and then to see if there is any cheapo doepfer stuff going.

Yeah it was a great experience at yours. I learnt so much in the first couple of hours I needed a break! (You make a wicked coffee btw) I really enjoyed talking to you and Suze about common interests. Refreshing in comparison to my Cornwall life.

Any of my DIY modules you fancy, take your pick. I owe you for the education. There arn't many people that would take a day to pass on there knowlege for nothing. I was thinking on the train back, I should of at least bought you a bottle a wine. Damn hindsight!
gosh
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by gosh »

The Cirklon is not a conventional sequencer at all. Have you read the manual as to.how it works? Intertrack events, accumulators, knob mask events etc etc
And full cv and MIDI intergeation. Soon there will be analogue drum trigger mux board on the din sync. Id say its of complete interest to.the modular guys
At least all the ones on the Cirklon mailing list! !
Randomseed
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Randomseed »

A sad victim of my gear lust Im on the list for the next production run.

I dont think Ill ever sequence on a computer again.
Randomseed
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Randomseed »

Opuswerk wrote:Been looking into getting an analogue sequencer, and this looks like one of the best.
Amazing features and seems very hands on. Quite hard to find 2nd hand though.
How are you still finding yours gosh? any one else using one? anyone selling one?

There have only been like 200 produced, doubt you could find one used even.