Ableton automation fading options?

- ask away
Daeronb
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Ableton automation fading options?

Post by Daeronb »

Yo guys,
So i just found out that the one feature i was bitching about ableton didnt have, it actualy does have atleast somewhat.

I found out that to get a very clean CURVED volume fade on an audio channel i can select the box directly below where it says "audio X" and pick the "fades" option. (in arrangement view atleast).

Now ive been hooing for this to be in ableton for a long time to find out it is already in it ( yeye should have read the manual).

Anyway, I cant seem to find the same option on midi tracks. I especialy need this kind of fade option on my filter cutoff from my vsti, but i cant seem to find it anywhere.

Can anyone help me with this? is it even in there?

tnx
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Ableton automation fading options?

Post by hydrogen »

Daeronb wrote:Yo guys,
So i just found out that the one feature i was bitching about ableton didnt have, it actualy does have atleast somewhat.

I found out that to get a very clean CURVED volume fade on an audio channel i can select the box directly below where it says "audio X" and pick the "fades" option. (in arrangement view atleast).

Now ive been hooing for this to be in ableton for a long time to find out it is already in it ( yeye should have read the manual).

Anyway, I cant seem to find the same option on midi tracks. I especialy need this kind of fade option on my filter cutoff from my vsti, but i cant seem to find it anywhere.

Can anyone help me with this? is it even in there?

tnx
Doesn't exist in live 8. Hopefully v9.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

you absolutely can do this in two ways, the second of which is my favorite and the only method i use when i work in ableton

once things are frozen to clips the fades on the audio file can be made to create nice curved fades of any length, it's also nifty to place clips next to each other and experiment with fading them in and out of each other, which is easy since ableton automatically creates the fades at beginning and end if you tell it

the best way and far more creative and funky is to use the autopan with the phase set to 0%

This eliminates the panning and only will manipulate the volume envelope. you can design almost any type of curve with that plugin from long fades to tremolo. the other nice thing is having the amount so you can have cascading sounds that never fade completely out. if you then apply this to maybe two instruments and set the offset control, you can easily get sounds that weave in and out of each other without drawing any automation

automatic magic