jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

TR-707 Owners\Help and SDS 800 Module

Post by jackbrazzo »

Roland TR-707 and
Guys

I have recently bought a Simmons SDS-800 and a already own a TR-707

Basically I want to muck about with the sounds on the 707. Question is how do you go about doing it using the SDS

Can I just get a DIN sync cable and wire up that way (or is this just for the clock), or do I need to buy individual patch cables for each channel. I am desperately trying to find info on the web but there doesn’t appear to be that much about?

Any help would be most appreciated. If I do need patch cables where is the cheapest place to get them? I am in the UK.

Eventually I would like to link it to Ableton - Can i do this still in Pattern Write mode - so use the 707 using effects with the sds and put all this into Ableton.

Any help appreciated!!

Thanks
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

I was familiar with the 707 but not the Simmons unit, so I looked it up. It seems to be a drum synth module and has trigger inputs.

I'm not sure what you mean by wanting "to muck about with the sounds on the 707". The 707 makes drum sounds. The SDS-800 makes drum sounds. The 707 has a pattern sequencer and the SDS does not. Using 1/4" patch cables from individual sound outputs from the 707 you could trigger a sound from the SDS (but see the link below, since apparently it might not work out as well as hoped).

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... synth.html

So you could take the kick drum output from the 707, connect it to the trigger input of the Bass sound on the SDS and then sequence a bass drum pattern from the 707. In terms of using it with Live, you could use MIDI within Live to sequence the 707 and then in turn trigger the sounds on the SDS. I'm assuming you have the rudimentary understanding of audio and MIDI to know how you'd set up the MIDI and record the audio out from the SDS into Live.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

Firstly thanks for the reply- much appreciated!!

Basically I want to play out live eventually. I want to use the 707 in this - Use a laptop and midi that in to the 707. Then maybe add a Korg ESX module and maybe a small keyboard.

I've only DJ'd before so this is all new ground. I bought the Simmons as I thought I could muck about the parameters on each sound on the 707, which are as you know are not tweakable. The disadvantage of buying lets say a DS1 Boss distortion unit is that it presumably would only effect one channel of instruments?

I am trying to get some resource on the net about this. Finding itg quite challenging but fun at the same time. I guess there are no rules which is great as I am sort of making my own plans on this and of course having great fun getting involved in programming beats etc.

Anyone offer any more advice?

Another question would be how would I connect the 707 to the computer i.e what wire

Also cheapest place to get leads 1\4? I think I will have a google!