when is bass off-centre/chorused acceptable?

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

steevio wrote:
if its going to vinyl, centering its an absolute necessity, unless you want an unplayable record.
See people always say this, but I panned the bass on my last vinyl and it plays fine.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:
steevio wrote:
if its going to vinyl, centering its an absolute necessity, unless you want an unplayable record.
See people always say this, but I panned the bass on my last vinyl and it plays fine.
well people (cutting engineers) say it because its true,

did you hard pan the bass to one side ?
did you split the bass into two frequency bands and pan the upper bass ?

dont forget the cutting engineer would mono your sub-bass anyway, but thats where phase cancellation can come into play.

also its worth noting that you will get a quieter record if you pan your bass off center.
because when its centred the big bass grooves are parallel, but if one side is bass heavy the grooves have to be cut further apart to accomodate the extra space needed, and if you havent got that space, then the only option is to cut it quieter

have you checked your record in mono ?

the only time i panned any bass elements (and they werent even subs but around 150 HZ ) the needle jumped out of the record and it had to be recut.

its not a myth, you obviously didnt do anything drastic.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

So you can pan the bass, but nothing to drastic then?

I didnt even mean to do it, it was only when I checked back in my headphones that I noticed it and it had already been sent off for cutting.