CPU rant.

- ask away
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

CPU rant.

Post by eggnchips »

Almost always when I get to the point where things are coming together with my tracks, you know when it's almost complete but the imperfections need ironing out, the CPU in Ableton hits 100% and I get that dreaded crackle. Arrrrrrghhhhhhhh!
It's so frustrating.
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Am I the only one? I can't work like this.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

try to freeze the tracks and if that doesn't help...

listen > edit > render > listen > edit > render > listen > edit > render > etc.
Bellows
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Bellows »

Yeah I know the feeling.

Just wondering do you have your A/V client running whilst you are making music, perhaps a few other apps running in the backgroud gobbling up precious CPU cycles? (hello realplayer, google toolbar, and I tunes)

It's for this reason I created a separate partition on my comp ( a separate user account just for music production just wasn't cutting it) and installed Win XP SP3 then removed all the graphical features so it looks more like windows 2000.

Disabled network adapter, and only music apps run on this OS and never goes out to the web. No antivirus or anything else running. Only Ableton, Reason, and a few soft synths are installed.

This has made a huge difference. I would recommend anyone do the same, the performance is excellent compared to running Ableton on the O/S on my standard partition which is used for browsing, email, office apps and so on.

If this is what you are doing already, what are your specs and which O/S are you running?

BTW, this is is my first post on here (long time lurker) so hello to the mnml comunity.
Shabba Never Meant sh!t To Me...
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

yeah. i always have to export my track when working on the final mix. then i listen to it, hear things i want to change, change them export again etc. it's very frustrating.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i remember those days. not a problem with new computers.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

tone-def wrote:i remember those days. not a problem with new computers.
agreed
sven laux
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: CPU rant.

Post by sven laux »

eggnchips wrote:Almost always when I get to the point where things are coming together with my tracks, you know when it's almost complete but the imperfections need ironing out, the CPU in Ableton hits 100% and I get that dreaded crackle. Arrrrrrghhhhhhhh!
It's so frustrating.
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Am I the only one? I can't work like this.
+1
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

i'm going to get a new computer the coming weeks, and I'm actually a bit worried about not being limited by cpu and memory as much in my coming productions. Creativity under restraint and all that.