How do you edit beat loops for making your own ?

- ask away
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

How do you edit beat loops for making your own ?

Post by tintin2085 »

Hi all,

I generally prefer creating my own beats but sometimes you find one or a few loops that work gently together over your basic beat (Kick, Snare, clap,HH...)
But I always feel a little bit guilty making that so I try to reproduce the loop with my own samples but the result is generally not the same or not has good. And if you cut the loop in Logic for example and play it thru the sampler and remove the undesired sound or move a sound in the loop it sound cut and unnatural.

So I want to know how do you rework audio beat loops and cleaning it for making yours.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

in ableton, right click sample, slice to midi
remove what doesn't sound good/fits your project
if something sounds not naturally, put something in so it does, or cover it up with other stuff.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

im a little confused.
in the title you ask how to use a loop to make it you own and not as is.
in the question it self, it sounds like your to unsuccessfully reproduce a loop because something is different.

if its the first one, just drop all kind of effects on it. noise gate->delay->filter->noise gate->manual editing. just an example but you should experiment and try anything that comes to mind. the loop wont sound at all like it did and wont have the same effect but thats how i like to use pre made loops. just throwing things around until i get something i like and no one can ever guess it was a loop before that.

if its the second one, i think that when it comes down to drums, programming is not a big issue. its more about subliminal modulation and getting the pumping effect just right.
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

patrick bateman wrote:in ableton, right click sample, slice to midi
remove what doesn't sound good/fits your project
if something sounds not naturally, put something in so it does, or cover it up with other stuff.
I make the same in Logic but the result is always better when I let all the sounds.
This technique is nice if you have a loop with an unique sound like a perc loop but otherwise the result is not optimal.
mehta
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mehta »

What kind of sampled loops are you using? if they are from vinyl or "real" drumming it might be hard to re-create them using one-shots

don't worry about it too much
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

so your not using drum loops? if it's a melodic loop just cutting out a single not in the middle of a phrase will sound odd. we don't know what loops your using so we can only guess.