Monitors..

- ask away
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

marcneyen wrote: So it may be a bit overrated that the Solo's blew me away once I got them but they do sound extremely detailed and have definitely enough low end.

Nowadays I got a studio space which is acoustically treated. The Solo's sound very even, still getting all details at lower levels and when working really loud they remain transparent. My studio space is about 5m to 4m and the Solo's are almost overpowered for that. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Twins as the woofer is twice the same and the advantage of them being 3-way might be minimal, especially for doing electronic music.If you don't mind spending the extra amount for the twins and got a big enough room, go for them.

I never tried Dynaudios, Adams etc but when I looked for a decent pair of monitors, Focal struck me as the only company that actually explained why they chose certain materials for their drivers/woofers and the whole concept behind it. That was the main reason I went with them and I have had no regrets so far, can only recommend em.
well, I've been doing with a pair of mackie HR624's for years.
I got myself the primacoustic recoil stabilizers about a year ago, which do actually improve your monitors a lot,
(I very much recommend these to anyone, it's such a small and easy way to improve the sound of any kind of monitors)
but I've been upgrading my studio lately, moving from gear that's roughly said worth an 8/10 to gear that's worth a 9 to 9,5/10
(anything even more better is too expensive and out of my reach, and honestly, too much overkill anyway)
so now I'm up for getting better monitors, way better monitors :lol:

I acoustically treated my studio last year, so the room is fine.
I had been looking into Dynaudio's and Adam's, but when I read about Focal, they seemed exactly what I was looking for.
Like you said : they are probably the only company that explain in detail why they use certain materials.
Plus, I simply couldn't find an unhappy owner on the net so far.
I mean, God knows I'm too old to fall for the "everyone raving on the net"-trap-thing, but honestly, I seem to only run into positive stuff from people that have bought these.
I wasn't exactly looking for a 3-way system, and I know that technically the Twins aren't a typical 3-way system, but I do consider this a very nice extra, and for a still reasonably affordable price.

thx for the info !

and btw, nice music !
At times it reminded me a bit of Guillaume & The Coutu Dumonts, but with more emphasis on melodic parts instead of rhythmic parts.
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

i have the neumann 120a. very nice.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Anyone here treated their room with proper treatment? Everyone always talking about monitors, but how important is the room itself? I was looking at http://www.realtraps.com/
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

the focals have been the perfect choice for me so far. i came from adam a7 but bass was crap obviously and even worse is the coloring adam sound (of the cheap adams). mixes translated bad on other systems. at first i was impressed with them cause i did some productions on the adam p22 and thought adam is the solution soundwise but the a7 still didnt fit my requirements and the p22 are midfield speakers.
i needed bass till 40 hz without sub and a good honest speaker and a not so big cone (dont like 7" or 8" on my desktop)...
there arent many that can do that in this pricerange.
i havent found any negative reviews of customers on the net (like i had them but now i´m happy with xxx). problem was these speakers didnt get many reviews in mags. most magazines reviewed the focal twins. so i tested them for a month and yeah!
adam s1x or dynaudio bm6 would have been my alternative choices for testing.
my room is treated against flutter echos and a bit for bass. i have the primeaudio recoil so my desk doesnt vibrate much.
almost perfect now. :)

i got 2 packs of these
http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_takustik_b ... m_grau.htm
to stop the echoes where i mix.
techno made me do it
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

::BLM:: wrote:Anyone here treated their room with proper treatment? Everyone always talking about monitors, but how important is the room itself? I was looking at http://www.realtraps.com/
I have 8 broadband traps from GIK. 4 superchunk type traps for the front corners and 4 of their 244's (one on the window sill in front of me, one as a cloud above the mix position and two on the first reflection points on the sides).
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

@ deccard: it's the solo's you're talking about right?

::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

jessejames wrote:
::BLM:: wrote:Anyone here treated their room with proper treatment? Everyone always talking about monitors, but how important is the room itself? I was looking at http://www.realtraps.com/
I have 8 broadband traps from GIK. 4 superchunk type traps for the front corners and 4 of their 244's (one on the window sill in front of me, one as a cloud above the mix position and two on the first reflection points on the sides).

Is it worth the money?
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

patrick bateman wrote:@ deccard: it's the solo's you're talking about right?

yes...and oh i forgot to mention they look soooo good :)
techno made me do it