Solid drum sampler for Logic?

- ask away
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Solid drum sampler for Logic?

Post by kivetros »

Hello all. I'm a longtime FL user that's recently purchased a Mac, so I've been looking into learning Logic 9. One of the first things that I noticed was how difficult it is (in comparison with FL) to browse drumsamples and sequence them. I really dislike Ultrabeat - I'm used to being able to drag and drop samples into a pattern, then link them individually to mixer tracks. I demo'd Battery 3, but it too left me quite unimpressed.

So, what do you guys use? Do I need to man up and learn Ultrabeat, or are there better alternatives available?

-K
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

Hi man,

A friend of mine, also a big FL user has told me that Logic is a little bit similar to FL in the use. Personally, I don't find my way in FL :lol:

A lot of professionals have the EXS24 sampler from Logic has main sampler and use it for ranging their drums samples library.
With the EXS24 you can tip the drums into the piano roll but you can also make it with Ultrabeat ;)
It's not necessary to use the integrated pattern sequencer from Ultrabeat

Ultrabeat is a sample player with a powerful drum synth :)
And the EXS24 is less CPU eater than Kontakt.
So if you have made the switch recently learn to use this 2 instruments don't loose time with another alternatives and you will be rewarded with a nice knowledge of the softs for creating faster and easier your desired sound :) My 2 cents :)
I must confess that I use mainly Battery for the drums also very prowerful drum sample player but the few times that I have used Ultrabeat in a project the result was always drums from outa space :)

PS:The more I use Logic the more I fall in love with it :)
konzee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by konzee »

I use the ultrabeat simlply because im lazy most of the time, make the loop, drag it to arranger and put everything on seperate tracks and then the work begins. I usually do my drumfills outside of it also, cant get that natural sound off a drum sequencer imo. I only use the esx24 for sampling usually.
kivetros
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by kivetros »

@tintin2085: I, too, feel as if some aspects of Logic and FL are similar - especially the way that the piano roll and playlist work. (I love FL's piano roll to bits.) I may be doing something wrong though, with ESX24 - so far, the only way that I've found to use it as a drum sampler is to load each sample, then give each sample its own 'zone' by setting the zone start and zone end key to be the same. It's a bit of a pain - is there an easier way of doing it?

@konzee: Can you elaborate on how you make patterns in Ultrabeat, drag it to Arranger, and send each sample to its own channel? The biggest thing I miss from FL so far (other than the step sequencer) is how flexible the mixer is - I can link any channel to any track, and any track to any other track - and it only takes a second to do. I used to send each perc channel to its own mixer channel, then submix them all.

Thank both of you so much for your help so far.

-K
konzee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by konzee »

I never gave fruity loops the time of day, although I know it is simplicit it sure never looked that way lol.

but I just make my loop on ultra beat (but I would further customize the hell out of it after that, i dont bother touching the velocities and etc within ultra beat its easier to me with pencil.) and just duplicate that drum track, copy and past the midi loop, delete and keep accordingly until the whole loop has is on its own track. I know that seems a bit much coming from the technique you just told me (i heard abelton is similar to that too) but thats how I've been working.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

I totally agree on Ultrabeat, it's very complicated. Although the sequencer is pretty cool. Ultrabeat simply has too many options and looks daunting.

Strange though that you didn't like Battery, it's as straightforward as it gets imho... just drop samples to the pad you want, select the 'note' you want to assign it to and if you prefer to load it into different channels in your daw, just select in right bottom corner. Done :)
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

I use NI Maschine for beats (and more), but that is quite expensive so perhaps FXSpansions Geist will suit your needs?
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

TechnoMusic wrote:I use NI Maschine for beats (and more), but that is quite expensive so perhaps FXSpansions Geist will suit your needs?
+1 on this

i don't use either but geist has had some very good reviews and a lot of people love maschine.