Exchanging Electribe ESX1 for an EMX1

- ask away
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

thanks oblio i hoped someone could tell me exactly where i should screw, i think i dont have to open the machine, just remove the grill in front of the tubes and there must be two trimmers or how you called it... my tech english sucks haha. i am trying to look through this grill and i see two white things beside each tube but not sure if thats it. anyone else knows?
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

s.k. wrote:yeah i hear you on the doing-it-quickly thing, i know what you mean from my experience with the red one, some might say they sound cheap but i actually like that sound.

on the cross-mod thing - this is from the SOS review:
Classic synth techniques are also modelled, so you can select a Ring Modulator for clangorous, metallic 'sum-and-difference' sounds and an Oscillator Sync option, which is great for soaring lead sounds. Cross Modulation creates complex waveforms by modulating Osc 1 with the output of Osc 2, while the Variable Phase Modulation Oscillator is capable of creating further metallic sounds by modulating the phase of one oscillator with another.
guess i'll see in a few days, its just the 'new gear fever' you know ;)
I've owned all the versions/models of electibes. to me the EMX is the best of the bunch. ESX is great, but for me not being much of a sample guy I didn't use the ESX so it's been in it's box for a long time. The ER-1 pattern (I think it's C#63) is a fantastic representation of the depth of this machine. In fact I'd suggest you start with that pattern to learn the synthesis function of the machine, the PCM drums are very hit and miss. Although there is a hi hat sample that is sooo sloppy dirty it comes into the mix wonderfully, I love it.

If you really wanna dirty things up, use the decimator. You may find the compressor to be sh!t (many peeps complain about it) but there is this hiss sound it makes that I find usefull at times...

I've tried 100's of times to part with the EMX, but I can never. I did get an Elektron MD uw recently and I find the ESX no longer necessary for me.

So if anyone is interested in it, contact me off line.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

well i have the new emx SD version and it seems the patterns have been updated on that one and guess what - no ER-1 pattern :) . yes i will check the korg forums thoroughly but if someone of you mnml fellows cares to drop me a PM - please explain the basics of this pattern with a few words - what synth model it uses and how it is routed - that would be really nice. i dont need a detailed explanation, just the basic breakdown. please :)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

s.k. wrote:hey does anyone know how to balance the output of the tubes? slighly panned to the one side here, not that its a big problem but i'd like to make their outputs even... i read that its possible and i just have to turn something with a screwdriver... anyone knows where that is? the machine sounds good btw, happy i bought it, and moreso together with the red one... thx
undo the panel on the back, you will see two black plastic screws.
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

s.k. wrote:well i have the new emx SD version and it seems the patterns have been updated on that one and guess what - no ER-1 pattern :) . yes i will check the korg forums thoroughly but if someone of you mnml fellows cares to drop me a PM - please explain the basics of this pattern with a few words - what synth model it uses and how it is routed - that would be really nice. i dont need a detailed explanation, just the basic breakdown. please :)
I bet I could somehow just send that pattern to you to load from your card if you wish, since I have the old version and I recent reinstalled the factory patches, why I don't know.
S
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S »

tone-def wrote:
s.k. wrote:hey does anyone know how to balance the output of the tubes? slighly panned to the one side here, not that its a big problem but i'd like to make their outputs even... i read that its possible and i just have to turn something with a screwdriver... anyone knows where that is? the machine sounds good btw, happy i bought it, and moreso together with the red one... thx
undo the panel on the back, you will see two black plastic screws.
Make sure you have the tube gain at max

Also I'm not sure if it's so easy, you need this patch cable that has a resistor
Soldered within it - between headphone and input, then you power up the machine while pressing a series of buttons and it goes into a special test mode.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

dubgil2 wrote:
s.k. wrote:well i have the new emx SD version and it seems the patterns have been updated on that one and guess what - no ER-1 pattern :) . yes i will check the korg forums thoroughly but if someone of you mnml fellows cares to drop me a PM - please explain the basics of this pattern with a few words - what synth model it uses and how it is routed - that would be really nice. i dont need a detailed explanation, just the basic breakdown. please :)
I bet I could somehow just send that pattern to you to load from your card if you wish, since I have the old version and I recent reinstalled the factory patches, why I don't know.
that would be great, i'll PM you! :D