Native Instruments Razor

- ask away
160R
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 160R »

Yes, surely we are talking about partials which get treated in one way or another. but if the software helps so u don't have to do everything 'manualy' it doesnt mean its not additive synthesis no more.

yes your possibilities get less this way. also 350 partials is not a lot at all, but obviously its enough. so its another take on additive synthesis and not just a marketing move... IMHO.

i mean 90% of people the marketing is aimed at, couldnt care less
SUB MINIMAL DUB
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

160R wrote:Yes, surely we are talking about partials which get treated in one way or another. but if the software helps so u don't have to do everything 'manualy' it doesnt mean its not additive synthesis no more.

yes your possibilities get less this way. also 350 partials is not a lot at all, but obviously its enough. so its another take on additive synthesis and not just a marketing move... IMHO.
well, than i guess we have different definition for additive synthesis. the way i see it is by the process you do.
even with subtractive synth you do some manipulation on it. fm and am or mixing oscs changes the harmonics, filter changes the amplitude of the partials.
when i say additive, im looking at additive process to make a sound and this synth does not have it. it has new ways to manipulate it.
again, like i said earlier, that does not mean its bad and i agree with TechnoMusic, bottom line its the sound and how intuitive the synth is that makes it good or not.
i only said what i said because the op sounded excited to experiment with additive synthesis (which imo is not).

dont take what im saying as offensive, the forum is all about different opinions and i see this as a discussion not an argument.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

don't care what it is called or what the ladida is about. I know that it sounds pretty damn good :) And it's very intuitive to learn to use. Only have installed it a few days and already am really getting some pretty sweet results.

You people really spend too much time thinking about all that technical nerdy stuff, you could be making tunes galore in the same period that you spent bickering about whether its black or white or with a hint of grey :)
160R
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 160R »

@stomper: ok. i can see what u mean.... so its neither additive nor subtractive?

@psytox guy: Yes if u just use presets thats fine... but some people might want to design their own sounds at some point.... it does help to know what u r actually doing, instead of turning knobs and see what happens
SUB MINIMAL DUB
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

oh, but that's just it: you can start with presets and fiddle around with the options as much as you want or need.
And if I may, I'd like to play the devil's advocate a bit: there are so many presets available for any possible synth that I seriously doubt you'll need to design a sound and come to a result that is not already there in a preset :)
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

Stomper wrote:... this method is very very time consuming and you shouldnt be bothered with it unless your a real synthesis freak.
that synth might give new timbres because it manipulates the partials in a way subtractive synth cant without spending too much time on adjusting each and every partial.

I've got a K5000r here.
I had it for many years, and it's one of the few pieces that I'm sure I'll never sell.
there aren't many real additive synths around really. Camel had the Cameleon which they "replaced" with Alchemy.
and the K5000 is one of the few hardware ones around, and very obviously the best there is (as far as I know).
I got Alchemy, and I like it, but I haven't touched it in more than 2 years now (too much other gear, not enough time), so I'm not gonna talk about that one.
But anyway, what I'm trying to say is this :
the K5000 makes the time-consuming part easier for you. You can group harmonics for editing. For instance, you can select "dark, bright, odd, even,..." harmonics and change one parameter for all of these at once.
In total, you have more than 1500 parameters you can program for a single patch on the K5000 (if you go fullblown additive and use 6 additive parts), so obviously it can get complex and this group editing comes in handy.
But I never felt like the K5000 was tedious and for nerds only.
Yes, I'm definitely a sound design freak, but I got my K5000 when I was still very new to synthesis, and I never felt it was that hard to handle.
the difference is that you're almost always gonna start from an already existing sound on an additive synth, not from scratch.
It's just a lot easier since even with the harmonic grouping, you work a lot faster starting with other sounds than starting from scratch.

Anyways, I'm not gonna bother with the discussion if this synth is additive or not.
To me, it feels like they want to promote it as additive while it's only mainly using elements from an additive synth, but I don't really care. They're not the first and they won't be the last trying to sell a softsynth by raving about why it's different from the rest.
For me, additive is using sine waves, having full access to each harmonic.
But I'm always happy when other synths use methods that come from additive synthesis. With Operator you can draw in your own harmonics. I love that ! Even though you don't really have much control over them apart from that (no seperate envelopes or anything), it's still a nice feature that opens up sonic possibilities you didn't have before.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say is this : there is nothing like an additive synth. You simply can't compare it with anything else.
If used right, it has a breathtaking beautiful sound to it. If you get the chance, you should really try one out.
And in case of the K5000, beware of the comb filter, it's resonance can get real mean shrieking at times. Very aggresive stuff !!

Oh, and btw : I listened to those samples of Razor, it does not at all sound like an additive synth to me.
I'm not saying that makes it a bad synth, but to me it's just another "hybrid-something-synth" (which is fine if that's what you're after)

just my 2 cts, a personal opinion from yet another dude on the net
so by all means, take it with a dead sea of salt... :)
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

160R wrote:
@psytox guy: Yes if u just use presets thats fine... but some people might want to design their own sounds at some point.... it does help to know what u r actually doing, instead of turning knobs and see what happens
I couldn't agree more with that statement.
first I made crap music.
Then I went diving into sound design and now I make -uhm- crap music !
Well, sort of. :lol:
But it's so much more rewarding and fun if you make your own sounds.
And at least now I can't blame the sounds I use ! :P
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Native Instruments Razor

Post by tone-def »

I've got a €25 NI coupon so I think I'm gonna get this.