Native Instruments Razor

- ask away
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

nohero wrote:Isn't it Additive? From what they say in the tutorial videos I've seen they say whilst they (the oscillators) are shown side by side, they effect each others waveforms rather than exist alongside each other.

I may be wrong I am new to this synthesis lark..

I'll check out your recommendations.
im saying it from what i see.
i see in the osc a knob to change from saw to square. therefore waveshape.
the additive synths i know of your able to adjust each harmonic (16 or 32 harmonics) and i dont see it anywhere here.
if you take any synth and mix 2 different shapes, it will effect the result. it could be that they made some smart algo that makes one osc effect the other in a different way than we use to, but it still doesnt makes it additive.

additive synthesis is not osc+osc. its adding each harmonic to your taste inside the osc.
nohero
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nohero »

Yeah they refer to 'partials' or something wonder if that's the individual elements.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

nohero wrote:Yeah they refer to 'partials' or something wonder if that's the individual elements.
yes.
but again, you only have knobs to alter the partials. the synth maybe rely on some additive abilities, but your not able to control the amount of each partial manually.

im not saying what they did is bad. all im saying is that the additive part is more for marketing than real additive synthesis.
it might even be better than other additive synths as this method is very very time consuming and you shouldnt be bothered with it unless your a real synthesis freak.
that synth might give new timbres because it manipulates the partials in a way subtractive synth cant without spending too much time on adjusting each and every partial.
nohero
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nohero »

Cool, thanks for explaining

I learn something new everyday :D
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

It sounds interesting to me. Torley did an extensive 8 part project preset on it.

Torleys Project Preset Razor - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kBkxTG4dXU
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog
160R
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 160R »

@stomper: the definition of additive synthesis is NOT to be able to treat every partial individually.!

you pretend u r such an expert on synthesis, yet your assumptions are just bullshit. shame is that there are People here who actually want to learn something and believe what you are typing. whats with this "Let's bash everything thats new and only than look into what it actually is or does"??

i think Ni made an ingenius move there: they managed to create an additive synth with the user Interface of a subtractive one. this might actually allow us to use additive synthesis in a musical way.

i mean in the Video they explain that the Filters are not actual filters and so on.... that the whole thing works as one big oscillator. and yet you come here writing that Ni are lying to us and you know better about their product then they do themselves.

i actually think razor sounds amazing, is a Joy to use and finally a Plug which doesnt try to emulate old hardware, but actually does something u could NEVER achieve with analog hardware itself
SUB MINIMAL DUB
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

160R wrote:whats with this "Let's bash everything thats new and only than look into what it actually is or does"??
Stomper wrote:im not saying what they did is bad. all im saying is that the additive part is more for marketing than real additive synthesis.
it might even be better than other additive synths as this method is very very time consuming and you shouldnt be bothered with it unless your a real synthesis freak.
that synth might give new timbres because it manipulates the partials in a way subtractive synth cant without spending too much time on adjusting each and every partial.
when you tell someone that he is wrong, usually you should explain why.
if additive synthesis is not treating each partial and by doing so adding harmonics to your taste, what is additive synthesis?
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

Personally I couldnt give two fucks what the definition of Razors synthesis type is but far more about how it sounds in a mix.

To my mind it sounds interesting enough for me to buy it this weekend and try it out. At 69 euros its a bit of a steal IMHO.
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog