Outboard multi fx units

- ask away
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Outboard multi fx units

Post by MarcAshken »

Hey, ive already got a lexicon mpx1, but im starting to get really tired of having to print my fx to audio before I can go on and use it again, I was reading a book the other day that recommended the yamaha spx90, but since then ive looked up reviews online and not been too impressed. Anyone got any other suggestions? The reverb and delay are the most important features for me, and ive got around £300/350 to spend on it
thanks gents
M
miro pajic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miro pajic »

hey marc,

I personally suggest you to look for the Sony HR-MP5. I had quiet several HW effects (T.C., smaller lexicons, yamaha, alesis, boss etc.)
but that sony was the king! I always called it a "baby eventide dsp4000". It's not very well known but a true gem. check this article:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_ar ... srmp5.html
(look at the effects list on the bottom)
Its delays and reverbs are especially good (esp. when you start chaining/combining)
There hasn't been any ITB plugin that even came close to the sound of this.
I really, really miss the sound of this :!:

To be honest I still have mine here and would sell it for cheap (because I'm ITB only). Cheap for the reason that the battery needs to be replaced
(It's one annoying thing with that unit, that it needs a battery replacement every 4 years or so) if you're interested, email me: info(at)miropajic(dot)com

I payed around 500€ in 1996. Would sell it for 50€. Maybe I'd let the battery get replaced and ask for a bit more.
MarkA
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MarkA »

miro pajic wrote:hey marc,

I personally suggest you to look for the Sony HR-MP5. I had quiet several HW effects (T.C., smaller lexicons, yamaha, alesis, boss etc.)
but that sony was the king! I always called it a "baby eventide dsp4000". It's not very well known but a true gem. check this article:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_ar ... srmp5.html
(look at the effects list on the bottom)
Its delays and reverbs are especially good (esp. when you start chaining/combining)
There hasn't been any ITB plugin that even came close to the sound of this.
I really, really miss the sound of this :!:

To be honest I still have mine here and would sell it for cheap (because I'm ITB only). Cheap for the reason that the battery needs to be replaced
(It's one annoying thing with that unit, that it needs a battery replacement every 4 years or so) if you're interested, email me: info(at)miropajic(dot)com

I payed around 500€ in 1996. Would sell it for 50€. Maybe I'd let the battery get replaced and ask for a bit more.
saw one of these on ebay yesterday, auction finished before I got an answer about whether the battery was working (it came with replacement batteries).
Looks a pretty cool unit..
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

aye, i did a bit of research into em an they look ace to me, gonna take the plunge
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Allow me to also suggest the ensoniq dp/4 and dp/2

cons:
the preset storage process is a bit strange and confusing.

pros:
seriously unreal fx. the phasers/flangers and reverbs are sweet and somehow darkish/muted, but with a sparkle in the dark... very tangible, visceral sounds to them.

I love my dp/4.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
nakoradiomies
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nakoradiomies »

roland dep-5 is also very great reverb, and you can get those cheap too

mine was something like 50euros
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

Did you consider a TC Electronic Fireworx ?

Tons of options with that one.
I paid around 550 euro's for a used one around 6 years ago,
which was fairly cheap back then,
so I'm guessing you might find one for around 400 nowadays, or less :?: