How do you organize, backup your computer datas ?

- ask away
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

How do you organize, backup your computer datas ?

Post by tintin2085 »

Hi all,

I have a Macbook Pro with 500Go, I have one External HD with 500Go + another one with 160Go + one desktop HD with 2To.

On the 500 Go I have all my samples, the 160Go is used for saving my Beatport MP3s and the 2To is used for all my other stuff, photos...
I want to have all my sound datas on 2.5 HD for take with me when I travel.

I have some problems actually with my new 2To HD and try to backup my datas.
I believe more and more that RAID is the way to go but it's very expensive.
I fear that I loose all my MP3 collection bought since 4 years and also my precious sample collection and my Logic Projects.

So I search to reorganize all my datas with more security.

How do you proceed ?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I have a 1TB external harddisk that I back up all my important stuff to.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Aside from a big ass sample archive of recorded drum machines and some select drum sounds I've synthesized, I don't back up anything.

In fact every year or so, I scrap everything except for what I mentioned above. I mean everything too.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Yeah im the same. Although its caught me out a few times, so I have started to back up and keep my old sh!t. I had a releases worths of stuff, my computer broke down and I lost the release so was quite annoyed.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

i buy 2 or three external hard drives every year and i constantly back up all my stuff. since i ripped all my CDs to harddrives i'm scared i could lose my big music collection... so i'll have 2-3 backups HDD for music, a couple for the music, and so on.
in fact i tend to double backup everything, i have some 10 hard drives around at the moment... and counting.
now with usb3 backing up is pretty fast and not so time consuming as it used to be.
i also backup the computer with acronis, bought a new machine 3 weeks ago, as soon as i configured everything (DAW, plugs and whatnot) i did an image of the window installation and all the software, should something happen i can revert the computer to a functional state within 10 minutes, without installing anything.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

you put your entire computer into an image file? How do I do that?
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

::BLM:: wrote:I had a releases worths of stuff, my computer broke down and I lost the release so was quite annoyed.
Quite annoyed?

That's a nightmare! Did you try to recreate those tracks, or you just said "fck that"?
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

didn't bother trying to recreate. just did more tracks.