Why drum machines?

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

{double post gremlin got me}
Last edited by AK on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:just thought i'd chime in quickly here. ^^^ that probably sounds really complicated but actually it's totally simple as fck... i think the problem is, that when you've spent a lot of time working in that way it seems so obvious (becuase it is), but if you're not familiar it might sound very complicated.
maybe you should let Regler be the judge of that.

i'm assuming he understands what a pulse wave, delay and a mixer is....

why would anyone ask that question if they didnt have a basic understanding of synthesis ?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Phurniture wrote: and some weird little digital Korg thing that didn't really work properly.
LOL i think you might have had yourself a korg MR16, the worst drum machine ever made.

someone gave me one a few years ago, the samples in it werent even trimmed properly, they had a glitch at the start and end. how they got away with selling those i dont know.

it put me off korg for life.

i also regret letting my TR606 go, purely for some of the sounds.
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by simonb »

It's a workflow thing for me. Getting a Machinedrum made a big impact on the way I write music, in particular it's made it much more hands on and "jamming" like which I'm sure has encouraged me to make more music. I tend to use it to jam out basic ideas for tracks with its own sounds plus using it to trigger my synth and maybe some software instruments, then I'll record it and beef out/finish the track in Ableton. I know I could make equally good-sounding patterns and with infinite flexibility just drawing them into Drum Racks, but hitting the buttons and turning the knobs on the Machinedrum and using it alongside a hardware synth is so much more fun for me, I'll write a pattern then just spend a while messing about with mutes and tweaks, while adding to and evolving the pattern as I wish.

I'm sure my approach (starting things in a 16-step way) is limiting but I'm happy with it for now, I don't feel I've exhausted it yet, I'm making techno and it suits me just fine.

That's just my 2 pence, as you've seen other people have other reasons like the groove or the sound.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote: Another part of my music making interest is electro, i have always liked the music growing up and some of that involves referencing to the past when creating it. Its nice to have that nostalgic feel by using drum machines that were used for that type of music. Theres just something about using them that I like but I could use other stuff obviously.
my first ever electronic music track was an electro tune, made on my Yamaha RX11, i loved that drum machine, its what got me into electronic music and away from rock music. its a really underrated machine.

wouldnt want to make tunes on it now though.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

simonb wrote: I'm sure my approach (starting things in a 16-step way) is limiting but I'm happy with it for now, I don't feel I've exhausted it yet, I'm making techno and it suits me just fine.

That's just my 2 pence, as you've seen other people have other reasons like the groove or the sound.
i think this sums it up, if youre happy working with a 16 step starting template, and are making mostly looped music, drum machines can be loads of fun and very spontaneous, if you want to be more experimental and you want your grooves to be more radical, they can be limiting.
i'd never say drum machines suck, but i feel ive exhausted what they have to offer me personally.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

steevio wrote:maybe you should let Regler be the judge of that.

why would anyone ask that question if they didnt have a basic understanding of synthesis ?
i was just trying to be helpful. I think the idea of using LFOs to drive sequencers is unique to modular, and even though it's quite obvious when experienced it might be quite alien.

But yeah I guess if someone asks that question they might already have an idea.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:
steevio wrote:maybe you should let Regler be the judge of that.

i was just trying to be helpful. I think the idea of using LFOs to drive sequencers is unique to modular, and even though it's quite obvious when experienced it might be quite alien.

But yeah I guess if someone asks that question they might already have an idea.
if i could have said it more simply i would have bro.