Help me with my 1st track ( how can i improve it ? )

- ask away
Teixeira
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Help me with my 1st track ( how can i improve it ? )

Post by Teixeira »

Hey guys!
I just started a project a few days ago, but i realy dont know what does it need to be "complete".
I showed this track to some friends of mine and they said it's ok, and "it is what it has to be". Anyway they are not producers and they dont like mnml or techno "that much" so i was wondering...
Can u guys give me some feedback?

heres the link.
http://soundcloud.com/caiotxa/circle-screwdriver

Ok guys TY in advance!
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

I'd agree with your friends, and I do like minimal and techno. It's a well-produced, well-judged, well-executed, but utterly bog-standard minimal track.

Your sound design, programming, arrangement and engineering skills are solid. I liked your creative use of automation in particular. But this track simply doesn't add anything to the genre or say anything that hasn't already been said a million times over the last 4 or 5 years, by about a 10000 other producers.

My 2 cents only.
Teixeira
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Teixeira »

Well, unhappily, you are right about the "utterly bog-standard minimal track"
I started to enjoy minimal and techno recently, and i'm glad that u have found my skills solid.

Anyways thank you for the feedback.
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

I was only blunt because you clearly have all the technical skills in place. If you didn't, I wouldn't even be honest with you because I don't wish to discourage you from building up your skills.

On the basis of this track you just need more ideas, musically, beyond 4/4 beat+pulsating LP bassline+FX.

Maybe try deliberately including elements that, on paper, don't belong in this style. Its not always easy to do that, but the challenge can pay off, with some of the most interesting and timeless tracks in any genre being those that blur the accepted and established boundaries.

For instance, how would a twisted-up, effected choir sound work in this? Or a mutilated violin sound?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

great feedback dusk!
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

i really like the track, it is kind of simplistic, nothing out of the ordinary. this isn't bad tho, as a dj tool this is a good thing. if you want something more unique from this track, i agree with dusk, add something that you wouldn't normally here. the percussion and beats are great, the sfx sound fine, i like the melodic thing going on. perhaps vocals, or another instrument, or some ambient background sounds might spruce it up? keep up the good work.
Teixeira
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Teixeira »

1st of all thank you guys for the great feedback

Dusk

You are completely right about everything you said.
i'll try something in this track later.
( Great feedback mate... i'm new to this forum how can i rep u ? )

pafufta816

Man ty for the feedback ;)
Sine6
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Sine6 »

well this sounds pretty great for a first track....
i have to agree with Dusk, it's not an innovation, yet everyboy has to learn technique etc. you clearly have done that by now, so now is the time for you to become creative and invent something new.
i'm very interested in where you take your skills to ;)

so far so good!
i make music!