hardware samplers

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

hardware samplers

Post by AK »

It amazes me how cheap some of the top end samplers can be got for these days. Obviously due to software, hardware samplers seem to have taken a back seat in the studio but as an instrument and device with character, some of these are still and interest to some.

Ive had a bit of experience with a few Akai's in time gone by, but never an Emu. I was wondering if anyone uses any hardware samplers in their set up and what it is they like about them.

Im particularly interested in getting an Emu 4xt ultra, for the purposes I wish to use it for, the specs are awesome. Check this:
Conceptually, the E4XT
Ultra is structured much like a
traditional modular synthesizer,
but without the modules!
Samples or optional ROM
waveforms act as the oscillators,
and the operating software
provides virtual patchcords,
envelopes, LFOs and filters. Emu
have always been keen on
modulation, and in the Ultra, any
of 65 modulation sources can be
routed to a choice of 67
destinations using 24 'virtual'
patch cables per voice. The
modulation sources include two
multi-waveform LFOs per MIDI
channel, direct MIDI parameter
control over just about
everything it makes sense to
control, and three
comprehensive envelope
generators per voice.

At the heart
of the Ultra is a new 32-bit RISC
processor designed to tighten up
MIDI timing and SCSI operation,
as well as facilitating SMIDI
sample transfer. E4XT Ultra
facilities include 128-voice
polyphony and 32-part
multitimbrality as standard, plus
eight outputs, including the main
left/right stereo outputs. This
number can be expanded to 16
analogue outs if you desire, or
eight digital ins and 16 digital
outs on an ADAT-format I/O
option if you prefer to expand
digitally. There's also a 3.2Gb
internal hard drive fitted as
standard, though a larger drive
of up to 9Gb can be fitted, and
SCSI for connecting external
drives (up to 18Gb, including
DVD - Digital Versatile Disc -
drives).
That seems like a lot of creative possibilities, esp. In terms of using it as a synth with sampled and looped waveforms functioning as oscillators. Its also got a fully fledged sequencer which could run a complete set up, it has an array of efx built in and those well regarded z plane filters.

Has anyone used this machine? I looked at it by accident and now I want one. What about an Emu unit with those z plane filters? Im trying to get my head around how they work.

Obviously the Akai is the other main competition but they arent that well known for the filters and if Im using it to build instruments from waveforms, I need as much filtering power as possible.

Apprecite any input, although as this unit was £2800, it was prob not in the price range of many but they can be got for a couple of hundred quid now and the potential is mad.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i would go with the emu.

i've got an akai sampler, and i dont rate them to be honest. i never really liked the sound of it when i used to use it, it's got a brittle sound to it.

loads of people like them, and say they add character, personally i dont like that character.

software samplers are way better.

my mate had that emu, and it did add something intangible.
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

x2
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

MarcAshken wrote:
x2
better for what? If it's sheer sample size and that stuff then yeah, co's they are using the computers memory and power but to me, they're just useful for playing back static samples. Maybe there's a decent amount of sample mangling going on in there which is interesting but to be honest, I've never been a great fan of them. As with everything in software, it's behind a screen, and it's not hands on for me - which is what I want.

Have you used any of the Emu series of samples? Wondered how you immediately jumped to the conclusion software samplers are better and what you mean by better? With the series 3, the emulator, the filters are actually analog filters. You just aint gonna get that in software. Also software doesnt actually sample ( except for a small few nowadays ) so no overdriving the input gain to fry the top end and stuff, and you just lack any character which is the reason why many people still use them. I'd be a nutter not to trim/loop/normalise samples in a computer first though - but it's the z plane filters and the amount of sound design purpose I am interested in and of course, I just don't want to work ITB.

@Steevio, yeah, I haven't read a single likeable thing with Akai's filters, I had used a few a while back but it was mainly for retriggering samples off floppy's. Not really making use of the samplers features. But I kinda know Akai doesn't offer the creative sampliust the amount of possibilities others do, esp. Emu.

When you say software is way better, better than what? Hardware samplers in general or the Akai's?

Anyway, with those features on a sub £300 unit, I can't really go wrong, esp seen as I'm not going to be incorporating the PC into my music. Well it will function as a hard disk recorder and other details but absolutely no sounds or sequencing. I HAVE to have a sampler though, no 2 ways about that.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
When you say software is way better, better than what? Hardware samplers in general or the Akai's?
better than the akais,

like i said go with the emu, looks like you already made your mind up anyway.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

It does sound like something I'd get a lot of mileage out of and the Akai filters are putting me off 1 of them. Its got a sequencer as well, which with the other stuff on my list, may work out useful. Those analog filters on the emulator 3 would have been nice but hey.

In fact, if there was something which would allow me to load in my own waveforms, had extensive modulation options and analog filters, Id be interested to know. A synth like the ensoniq esq1 has sampled (lo fi) waveforms and analog filters but wont let you use your own.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i haven't see a picture of the sampler but i can imagine a lot of menu diving and cutting up samples with a jog wheel. not the kind of hands on interface i would want.