How to set macro controls for NI Kontaktplayer knobs

- ask away
koen1978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

How to set macro controls for NI Kontaktplayer knobs

Post by koen1978 »

Hi,

I want to control the knobs in my kontaktplayer vst (speedy J/Kreate player) with ableton macro control knobs. I can't asign or mapping them to my ableton knobs. Maybe i'm thinking the wrong way or can anyone please explain how to do this.

Koen
koen1978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by koen1978 »

PS: i don't have a midi controller
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

het principe van knoppen te besturen van plugin synths of FX (VST, AU,...)is vereenvoudigd sinds de komst van ableton 8 tov vroeger versies,
maar je moet het wel weten :)

laad kontaktplayer in een instrument rack.
druk op "configure"
dan komt jouw rack in configure-mode te staan,
vervolgens komt iedere parameter (=knop of slider) waarop je daarna klikt in de lijst naast het zwarte vierkant (de X/Y controller) te staan.
Vervolgens kun je op die parameters rechts-klikken en kan je die routen naar je macro-knobs.

voilà !
klaar is kees.

ps als het je zou interesseren, ik geef privé ableton-training
of sound design training in het algemeen.
omdat ik nogal gedégouteerd was door het zeer beperkte en veel te dure aanbod die de weinige scholen in België aanbieden ben ik zelf maar gestart met privé-lessen geven in mijn eigen studio.
het principe is van de les zo exact mogelijk aan te passen op vraag v iedere klant persoonlijk en het ook nog betaalbaar te houden.
dat is tenslotte leuker voor iedereen. :)

sorry for the dutch guys 8)

if translation is needed, let me know.
koen1978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by koen1978 »

HI Hades! (i reply in english)

I know. I did that. I grouped my vst and abletons instrumentrack but in this case (using NI kontaktplayer) after choosing 'configure' there are no parameters to assign to my macrocontrol / mapping.

There must be a way to achieve this i guess, or its simply not possible or maybe you need a NI midi controller -(commercial thinking of NI)?-
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

I presume the kontakt-player is nothing different from the kore player I used to quickly test this ?

I don't have the kontakt player, I do have Kontakt 4 as part of NI Komplete.
with Kontakt it works exactly like I described.
with the Kore player it works like that as well.

with something llike Battery it doesn't work that simple though.
you have to open the "automation page" and set it all up individually.
a pain in the ass really, but it goes fairly fast enough once you get the hang of it.
I presume your Kontakt player will have a similar kind of "automation page".

believe me when I say getting a MIDI controller from NI would be completely unnecessary.
Or you can control these knobs with any normal MIDI controller,
or ou can't control them at all.
It would HIGHLY amaze me if NI would actually bring out products that could only be controlled via their line of controllers.

check the (probably brief) manual that came with your Kontakt player.
it's probably described in there.

I see Kontakt player is a free download (just as Kore player is)
I'm downloading right now and have a look for you.
this might take some time since I gotta pick up the daughter from school first and spend some quality time with "she who won't be ignored" :lol:
If I still have the time or think about it tonight, I'll look into it.
Otherwise it'll be sunday probably.
If I forget, hunt me down and come break my knees,
or send me a PM ;)
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

I can't install Kontakt player since I already have Kontakt full version on my Mac.

sorry, wanted to help by downloading and installing and testing out myself, but if I try to install Kontakt player it immediately says I can't install it since I have Kontakt full version already installed.

be sure to check the manual of Kontakt player,
and otherwise, just ring up NI customer support.
they're friendly, and easy to reach.
I've had nothing but good experience with them in the past.

good luck, and if you find out what the problem was, let us know, I'd like to know what it was.
koen1978
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by koen1978 »

Hey Hades,

Ik zie je berichten vandaag pas. Bedankt voor je tijd dat je er even na hebt willen kijken of jij het wel uit kon vogelen. Ik heb in de help-pdf er even op nagekeken en ik heb idd wat gezien over automation page. Maar dit doe je dan in de preferences van kontaktplayer geloof ik. Hier moet ik even induiken. Als ik eruit ben laat ik het zeker even weten!

Groet