"Vinyl sales up 14% in 2010 compared to 2009"

- ask away
Post Reply
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 3495
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:18 pm
Location: wales UK
Contact:

Re: "Vinyl sales up 14% in 2010 compared to 2009"

Post by steevio » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:46 pm

mr lee wrote:
steevio wrote:^^^

i'm not entirely sure that monitoring the digital sales will be an effective way to guage a potential vinyl release, unless of course your digital sales are exceptional on a particular tune.

...
I guess what I meant is that digital sales could give some impression of how strong the label is doing overall. At least enough to give confidence to try vinyl. 300 is a lot easier of a number to digest than say a 1000, which is what we used to consider a small run.

Thanks for the advice. You've given me plenty to think about. Glad to know vinyl is still kicking.
yeah 1000 runs are a thing of the past for small labels now, ( we were doing 2500 runs in the 1990s )

the problem with 300 is its just break even, and you'd be running at a loss if you had a picture cover,
i know people who are even doing 200 runs

Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 1434
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:53 pm
Location: Swiss Lakesides
x 3
Contact:

Re: "Vinyl sales up 14% in 2010 compared to 2009"

Post by Opuswerk » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:25 pm

With Plak we do 300 runs and picture cover. We need to sell them all to cover costs. I know some labels who do a first run of 100 and repress another 100 when they sell out. However, even with this strategy, you need to be able to sell at least 300. You do however make it so that you'll loose less money, if you never manage to sell those 300.
To sell those 300, i reckon it's a matter of music quality, good promotion / support, as well as some luck.
My last record on Knotweed records got really good support, and got played and podcasted numerous times. However for some reason it's not selling as well as you could expect with all that...
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk

mr lee
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:27 pm

Re: "Vinyl sales up 14% in 2010 compared to 2009"

Post by mr lee » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:00 pm

I was doing some price comparison today, and to run a basic, white label/white sleeve 135g, @ 100 units was going to cost at least $1000. So at $10/ea. my cost... there is a huge loss, even if I sold every one.

There is a considerable price break @ 250 units, bringing the cost per down to $6/ea. which might be low enough.

Maybe i'm looking at the wrong place, but here is where I was finding prices.

http://capsulelabs.com/pressing/quote.p ... wh&steps=1

steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 3495
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:18 pm
Location: wales UK
Contact:

Re: "Vinyl sales up 14% in 2010 compared to 2009"

Post by steevio » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:15 pm

yeah a lot depends on where you get things done, package deals are cheapest, but you dont have much control over quality.

when i was doing picture sleeves, i was doing everything separately and attending the cut, so i was making a loss.

the prices you are talking sound expensive, are you in the US ?

steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 3495
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:18 pm
Location: wales UK
Contact:

Re: "Vinyl sales up 14% in 2010 compared to 2009"

Post by steevio » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:16 pm

things are a lot cheaper in europe

steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi
Posts: 3495
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:18 pm
Location: wales UK
Contact:

Re: "Vinyl sales up 14% in 2010 compared to 2009"

Post by steevio » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:31 pm

Opuswerk wrote: To sell those 300, i reckon it's a matter of music quality, good promotion / support, as well as some luck.
My last record on Knotweed records got really good support, and got played and podcasted numerous times. However for some reason it's not selling as well as you could expect with all that...
yeah thats strange, that was a good record.

mr lee
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:27 pm

Re: "Vinyl sales up 14% in 2010 compared to 2009"

Post by mr lee » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:34 pm

steevio wrote:yeah a lot depends on where you get things done, package deals are cheapest, but you dont have much control over quality.

when i was doing picture sleeves, i was doing everything separately and attending the cut, so i was making a loss.

the prices you are talking sound expensive, are you in the US ?
Yes, in the US.

ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Re: "Vinyl sales up 14% in 2010 compared to 2009"

Post by ray parry » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:14 pm

steevio wrote:
Opuswerk wrote: To sell those 300, i reckon it's a matter of music quality, good promotion / support, as well as some luck.
My last record on Knotweed records got really good support, and got played and podcasted numerous times. However for some reason it's not selling as well as you could expect with all that...
yeah thats strange, that was a good record.
promotion really has nothing to do with sales anymore. the more promos you give away the less you're going to sell, so makes no sense to me. perhaps if labels didnt send 100's of promo emails out they might actually get better sales. for the labels i work for, we never do promo and always hit over 600 units. the last release did 1200 and again no promo. i released on a label the other day that did promo (full dj promo campaign and press. it had a review on RA and other various sites etc) and the release sold out at 320, yet another release of mine that had zero promo sold a lot more copies. from what i can tell is if the music is real quality it will sell. decks.de/juno for example are doing most of the copies, so you just need to remain in a high chart place all the time and then the sales will come.

Post Reply