"Vinyl sales up 14% in 2010 compared to 2009"

- ask away
mr lee
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Re: "Vinyl sales up 14% in 2010 compared to 2009"

Post by mr lee »

might be somewhat unrelated, but i'd like to get your thoughts...

You talk about the track being the key to sales, but beyond that, there are other key factors that play into it. In your opinion, is it more about the Label the track is being released on, the Store where it's being sold, or the Artist's name on the tune?

Reason why I ask is because no matter how good the tune is, if it's not being pushed by a huge label, huge name, or featured on a store it will more than likely go unnoticed. Or would you disagree?
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

mr lee wrote:might be somewhat unrelated, but i'd like to get your thoughts...

You talk about the track being the key to sales, but beyond that, there are other key factors that play into it. In your opinion, is it more about the Label the track is being released on, the Store where it's being sold, or the Artist's name on the tune?

Reason why I ask is because no matter how good the tune is, if it's not being pushed by a huge label, huge name, or featured on a store it will more than likely go unnoticed. Or would you disagree?
well its a mixture of all them things. there are a lot of variables. The music obviously needs to be really good. it also needs to crossover, for more people to buy it. people put out these techno records that really only a very small niche plays and then they wonder why it hasnt sold so many. the same can be said for all those people making 90's house records. if its really niche and not particularly different to whats out there already you cant expect it to sell a ton of records. something like the label smallville/dial to me would be a good label that crossover into all genres and pleases a lot of people on 1 EP. the music on that label is also of a very high standard compared to a lot of other music out there.

my main point though was dj promotion is pointless. who really cares if a dj has has played your track? its not the 90's anymore and sasha is no longer god! most of the time the dj promotion is sent to a load of djs that nobody really knows and would have bought the music if they hadnt been sent it, so you're essentially losing sales right there. the majority of people buying records now buy online and are checking decks/juno everyday so they are not even seeing the dj feedback.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

^^^

but promotion doesnt just mean sending promos to DJs.

i stopped sending vinyl promos to DJs years ago, and ive never spammed emails out.

promotion now for me is about developing relationships and making sure at least everyone in your circles of contemporaries know that you've got something out there. It definitely works. not everyone is checking Juno and Decks everyday, your window of opportunity with the online sites is very small, your tune is in and out of the sales chart in a few weeks, the higher your release is up the chart, the more people will check it out, and the more records you'll sell.

i agree in the end it is all down to the quality, but you can give yourself a helping hand, by making sure at least all your DJ friends on Facebook know when its onsale, if they all buy it at the same time, it will chart higher.

you're selling your ass if you try to get more generic coverage by tailoring your music, you have to make the music you believe in.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

mr lee wrote:might be somewhat unrelated, but i'd like to get your thoughts...

as ray parry says its a mixture, but it certainly doesnt need to be pushed by a huge label or be a huge name. Of course the bigger the label and the bigger the name the more likely it is to sell, but if you put out a good tune and it's onsale on the better online stores, its got a good chance of being noticed.

i agree with ray that the online stores are key, and the long established record stores like Hardwax, if they give their seal of approval, people take notice
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

steevio wrote:
Opuswerk wrote: To sell those 300, i reckon it's a matter of music quality, good promotion / support, as well as some luck.
My last record on Knotweed records got really good support, and got played and podcasted numerous times. However for some reason it's not selling as well as you could expect with all that...
yeah thats strange, that was a good record.
It's quite curious indeed. Maybe people will pick it up slowly with time?
To continue on what you said in your last post, it's all about that window of opportunity you get. There's 1, maybe 2 weeks for you where you need to get the EP in charts. And to do this, as you said, you have to make sure that all your followers do know that a new EP has just come out. But you need to seize it, else it's very difficult to get it up there later.

@ray parry:
what's your producer / dj name?
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Opuswerk wrote:
@ray parry:
what's your producer / dj name?
yeah come on ray parry, spill the beans, really interested to know who's selling 1200 underground techno records these days, you're obviously doing something right
ray parry
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ray parry »

i would like to remain anonymous guys.

the last one we put out has done 1200. we just repressed another 100 so hopefully get another 100 copies sold. last few did 600-800, then some around the 400-500 mark. the 1200 was by a very well known artist thats very respected, so thats why it sold that amount but the ones that done 600 have been from brand new artists so there is hope! :D
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

like they say on Muffwigglers;
' post the audio or it never happened'