"Vinyl sales up 14% in 2010 compared to 2009"

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: "Vinyl sales up 14% in 2010 compared to 2009"

Post by steevio »

Nothing against heavy weight vinyl as long as it doesn't effect the price I have to pay. It seems like the average record I buy is £9 or £10! Up from £6 or £7 a few years ago.
is it not because you are buying online more nowadays, whereas you used to buy in shops maybe ?

i think because its a break even game now, and costs have gone up (cutting, oil (vinyl), printing etc.) its inevitable that it's going to creep up in price.

but its not that bad value for money, if a release has 4 good tunes on it, its not much more than buying digitally.
a while back, releases usually had one or two good tunes and a filler or two, which made digital more cost effective, personally i think my releases need to have three or four of my best tunes, to give good value for money
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

I would say its even more expensive in black market and phonica than online. Thinking about it I'm buying a lot more American imports instead of stuff from the EU.
Boxbeat
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Boxbeat »

Certainly Richie Hawtin, Dubfire and Chris Liebing all use traktor / laptop set ups.

Watching a lot of the djs at global gathering I certainly see quite a bit of CDs being used.

Its the music counts not the format then I guess?

Boxbeat
roland
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by roland »

Boxbeat wrote: Its the music counts not the format then I guess?

Boxbeat
but digital allows you to bring in your looping and effect skills which add hugely to the quality of the music...

/sarcasm mode off
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

roland wrote:
Boxbeat wrote: Its the music counts not the format then I guess?

Boxbeat
but digital allows you to bring in your looping and effect skills which add hugely to the quality of the music...

/sarcasm mode off
or not as the case may be. its a never ending debate. i'm only the messenger, reporting what happens at our event.

of course there's some guys not using vinyl, but they are very much a tiny percentage at Freerotation and all the clubs and parties i go to. i think there will be a difference in different countries, in countries that have a very long tradition of electronic music culture like the UK and Germany, vinyl is super strong, maybe in countries which have only recently caught the bug it may be different ??? anyone any info on this ?
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

I can tell you that many clubs in Chicago have gotten rid of Technics in favor of CDJs. At a minimum, the CDJs get the best booth real estate with Technics getting less-than-favorable placement. This isn't the case at my favorite club, Smartbar, but is true for many. Especially those clubs that deal in "scene" vs "music."

Even when I was still DJing a lot, the clubs always neglected their turntables. You'd be lucky if they held pitch. If you wanted perfect turntables, you brought your own.
headband
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by headband »

In America many of the venues and promoters rarely have a vinyl set-up and if they do it's usually a rather sad state of affairs, one time when Moodymann came to LA he had to fck with one turntable for the beginning of the night thanks to the promoter :lol:

but yes I'll always love vinyl, the other day one of my friends was telling me how he didn't "get" purchasing and listening to vinyl, and I told him,
"You listen to spotify on laptop speakers, no offense but I'm pretty sure your opinion on audio formats is null and void in my eyes" -frown 2
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i kind of supected it would be like that in the states, its so ironic, all the top US DJs are vinyl guys and play more in europe than anywhere else. i wonder if the new vibrant electronic music scene in the US will eventually realise its heritage, and go back to its roots. it happened with the blues.