mono synth: SH101 v DSI mopho keyboard

- ask away
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

hydrogen wrote:... and the sub bass is so flat its disgusts me. VST can produce much cleaner and better sounding bass. tetra can do some cool acid style sounds with its filter but that's about it...
Wow hyperbole much?

sh!t, I love the 101 as much as anyone, I wear a t-shirt with its name on it all the time... but to call the mopho/tetra family crap is just ignorant. The damn thing is already doing so many classic analog tones on so many records even given its short lifespan.

It was Felix from Hot Chip that said it could sound moogish and has done a good job going there. I have a few other examples of people who have used the mopho in that capacity. Its not a 101, but I don't it was intended to be.

edit: because I was being a dck, fixed for peacefulness sake.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i certainly dont think the DSI stuff is crap, its just menuism that kills it for me.
i've had my fair share of synths with menus over the years, and ive always disliked them, and got rid, but for some reason i thought the prophet 08 might be different.

unfortunately not, i never gelled with it, it was just simply hard work.

the most important feature for an analogue synth for me is instantaneous tweakability, no thinking required, a playable instrument.
if youre trying to climb out of the box, theres little point in tying an anchor round your ankle.

to say any DSI synth can sound like a Moog is absolute nonesense, and i dont care who said it.

i sat in my studio for one year with a Moog Voyager and a Prophet 08 infront of me, and i can safely say i never heard anything come out of those synths that sounded remotely similar.
you may as well say that any synth with a lowpass filter sounds like a Moog,
ive never been able to get a Moogish sound out of any synth other than a Moog, and to be honest ive never been able to get the sound of any synth out of anything other than the synth in question.
they all sound different. that becomes obvious with even limited experience with synths.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

i have nothing but positive things to say about my mopho and most DSI products (all the cheaper stuff, never heard a prophet)

the mopho is an incredibly powerful synth

this is the best online example i've seen if you can stand a bit of trance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmWwY5Hfp7E

listen to those transients on the drippy perc sound, never heard a piece of software that achieves that. the sub oscs also can produce crazy basslines
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I like the Prophet. Its rubbish for bass, but for pads etc.. its perfect.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

you know its all down to personal taste and ways of working, if youre used to ITB, then something like the mopho keyboard will probably be a breath of fresh air,
for me that style of synth doesnt work now because i'm working totally analogue, and a menu or computer screen is the last thing i want to deal with, i need a knob for everything so that if i want to do something i just reach out and it happens in real time as the tune is progressing.

this is the ease and pleasure of working with analogue synths for me.

even my Moog Voyager is a nightmare to deal with in its digital capacity, but luckily with the moog you can switch to 'real panel parameter' mode, which disables the digital control and it basically becomes a true analogue synth, which is how i use it.

the trouble with most of the hybrids is that they dont have this feature, because they simply dont have enough knobs, there is always stuff that needs to be in menus.

but if youre used to working with a mouse and assigning parameters to contollers, then almost any new wave analogue synth will seem like luxury.
i think the tetra and mopho module are way too light on knobage.

also whether something sounds like a Moog or not is irrelevant, if i buy a DSI synth i want it to sound like a DSI synth, and you can be sure that is the case with DSIs. their tech support is also the best i have ever come across. they return emails immedeately, and they'll do anything to help.

just a bit of balance here.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

steevio wrote:you know its all down to personal taste and ways of working, if youre used to ITB, then something like the mopho keyboard will probably be a breath of fresh air,
for me that style of synth doesnt work now because i'm working totally analogue, and a menu or computer screen is the last thing i want to deal with, i need a knob for everything so that if i want to do something i just reach out and it happens in real time as the tune is progressing.

this is the ease and pleasure of working with analogue synths for me.

even my Moog Voyager is a nightmare to deal with in its digital capacity, but luckily with the moog you can switch to 'real panel parameter' mode, which disables the digital control and it basically becomes a true analogue synth, which is how i use it.

the trouble with most of the hybrids is that they dont have this feature, because they simply dont have enough knobs, there is always stuff that needs to be in menus.

but if youre used to working with a mouse and assigning parameters to contollers, then almost any new wave analogue synth will seem like luxury.
i think the tetra and mopho module are way too light on knobage.

also whether something sounds like a Moog or not is irrelevant, if i buy a DSI synth i want it to sound like a DSI synth, and you can be sure that is the case with DSIs. their tech support is also the best i have ever come across. they return emails immedeately, and they'll do anything to help.

just a bit of balance here.
Yeah I don't actually use any of the "synth in a box" DSI stuff anyway. My mopho experience is via a buddies. I have a MEK and am about to upgrade it to the pot edition because I can't stand the encoders anymore. But I always felt that was preference. It doesnt affect the synth and the MEK only has a very few parameters that ever depend on the menus. The rest is knobs and blinking lights.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

meh. fck it.

edited because I cant be arsed.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

well steevio....it´s a matter of taste...
i worked over the years with a lot different analog synths (also a real old minimoog) and made with alot of em tracks.
i´m happy with the mopho. also for subbass. i think the doepfer dark energy is better for a clean subbass in that pricerange but i also had good results with the mopho.
i dont see it as an all in one machine. it has its own vibe and can sound moogish but of course it´s not a moog... so like it or not but it´s definetly not a stinker and gives good value for the money.
also i´m recording it always through a nice tube comp and another comp in chain before the soundcard. so maybe another reason why i cant complain about not enough juice.
it´s not a classic analog machine but it has definetly an analog sound.

for the original poster if you can buy at thomann you can give everything back in 30 days. there are a lot alternatives in that pricerange.
Last edited by deccard on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
techno made me do it