mono synth: SH101 v DSI mopho keyboard

- ask away
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

mono synth: SH101 v DSI mopho keyboard

Post by dubgil2 »

Hi all,
I've been itchin to buy a monosynth. In the 90's I loved, but regrettably sold, an sh101. I'd love to have one again. Certainly the prices can be a bit high, the $6-800 range I see on ebay is still worth it (to me). At the same price the new DSI mopho keyboard has caught my attention. Am I looking at apples vs. oranges, what feedback / opinions do you have of the DSI mopho?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

even though i only have the vst version of the 101 and the dsi tetra. I think they are 2 completely different beasts. the filter sounds completely different and i have trouble getting the tetra to do any just pure bass low end where on the 101vst it seems really easy to get that smooth techno bass.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

hydrogen wrote:even though i only have the vst version of the 101 and the dsi tetra. I think they are 2 completely different beasts. the filter sounds completely different and i have trouble getting the tetra to do any just pure bass low end where on the 101vst it seems really easy to get that smooth techno bass.
Hydro,
Thank you for your quick reply, but I was asking about the MOPHO, that recent yellow keyboard. If you're refering to that Free 101VST, by the TAL group I have it too, pretty good. anyone with a mopho? (I realize the tetra is like a 4-voice mopho)
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I have the mopho module. You can get some good bass out of it, but the filter blows for tweaking. It works great with lfo's and sh!t, but sucks for any quick sweeps. Plus, it's an encoder, which almost always sucks for filter cuts.

The keyboard version might have pots for the filter though. I've never used a 101 before, so I can't compare the two. I'd imagine their quite different beasts though.

The module that I have can be picked up for probably around $300 used. To be honest, there's no way I'd pay $700 for a keyboard version it. It's my least used piece of gear next to my s900 akai. It's probably because my modular is usually on bass duty, but I wouldn't pay $700 for even if I didn't have any monosynths. The module is worth it, but the keyboard is a bit inflated.

What about the doepfer dark energy or future retro revolution? Those are both in your price range and look pretty dope.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Phase Ghost wrote:The module that I have can be picked up for probably around $300 used. To be honest, there's no way I'd pay $700 for a keyboard version it.
kinda what i was trying to say even though i have the tetra... i would have rather shelled out an extra $200 and had a 101.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

i recently got a sh-101, love it very much, expecially the deepness of the bass it can make. I'd recommend it, but I can't comment on the DSI as I don't have any DSI product.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

101 all the way bro.

i totally love that machine.

i havent got a mopho, but i did until very recently have a prophet 08, and the mopho is one voice of that, compared to the SH101, its not in the same league.
after initial excitemen, i was very dissappointed in the Prophet in the end, too digital... un-tweakable

if you want a real analogue synth at a just affordable price, theres no contest

(but for how much longer ?)
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

steevio wrote:101 all the way bro.

i totally love that machine.

i havent got a mopho, but i did until very recently have a prophet 08, and the mopho is one voice of that, compared to the SH101, its not in the same league.
after initial excitemen, i was very dissappointed in the Prophet in the end, too digital... un-tweakable

if you want a real analogue synth at a just affordable price, theres no contest

(but for how much longer ?)
well if I get my act together quickly, I've been watching ebay (only) for 101's and in the past month I have caught 3 that sold for less than $600.
So yeah, probably going to go back to my beloved 101, there's back n forth on the mopho and never a bad thing against the 101. The only bad thing about the 101 is that I sold mine duh!