Soundcraft M12

- ask away
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

im still having this problem, ive searched everywhere for a manual and googled it only to find nothing at all ive found a few threads about this particular model but nothing useful. its not the soundcraft 200SR 200B or 200BVE its the original series 200 and theres no manual on the soundcraft discontinued section. i know theres a few folk on here who have experience with soundcraft boards and was wondering if they could shed some light on them in regards to this panning situation, it seems like theres really weird routing on the panning, i thought id simply be able to pan each individual channel, however it seems it can only be done through the busses/group section? if i pan a channel hard right it routes the channel to even numbered buss channels and if panned hard left odd numbered. its completely baffling me, im guessing i cant pan on the individual channels?! sorry that the thread has changed a little

thanks
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

each channel is a mono input, correct?
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

aye mate, ive sorted it now, not used to working on external gear so didnt have a clue! turned out i have to pan each channel on on the aux's hard left and hard right then i can pan on the individual channels. thanks for the reply tho!
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Has the sound changed much for you moving from an itb mixer to a piece of hardware? I was thinking of picking one of these cheaper mixers up, but unsure if its what I am after. Can you push the M12 and get a nice warm sound?
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Soundcraft M12

Post by isaaclevy »

following this
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

Didnt even realise anyone had replied back to this. Yeah the sound has changed quite drastically, I cant mix in ableton anymore tbh, when i mix on my desk, the EQ's are really restricted and you cant do precise EQing, but I rarely do that anyway, it just sound's much nicer, its like all the sounds feel glued together but nothing is effecting the sound, theres something ableton does to the sound, its hard to explain. Its also nice to overdrive channels. I've got my Mbase for kicks but lately I've been cutting 909's from Vinyl through my S950 then overdriving the channel on the desk and it sounds really really nice.

I was sequencing from my MPC and S950 and running the audio outs from them direct to the desk but lately I've been recording ideas on them then recording into ableton and chopping my stuff up and running the outputs from my soundcard into the desk. I'm after an echo audiofire 12 now, so I can run 12 channels out from ableton direct into my desk. My mixer cost me £300, its old but it sounds nice, and I think the price was well worth it. Some of these older soundcraft mixers from the 80's retailed at like £3000 so I don't think the components inside are as shitty as some might think, most are modular as well so I always keep an eye out for different modules on ebay so I can get better EQ. Aint tried an M12 but they do look nice, its well worth buying imo if you own a few bits of hardware, seems to bring them alive that little bit more when ran through an analog desk and you don't need a massive budget, I'd sell all my equipment in my studio but I wouldn't sell my mixing desk.
NoAffiliation
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NoAffiliation »

i've found a more open sound from an external mixing device. i say device because im using a Dangerous D-Box summing mixer. I have a soundcraft m4 for drum machines and i would say the D-box produces a more separated depth in the sound. However the pres and eq's on the M soundcrafts are top.

ive also gotten almost the same sound in the box by layering room noise on sounds and using plugins that emulate crosstalk