Techno bass - Sandwell,Liebling,Ruskin,Detroit etc.

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote:
what about the basic building blocks of harmony and melody?
you mean western classical handbag harmony and melody right ?

what about the basic building blocks of raw tribal tripped out percussive ecstacy ? :D

edit;

only messin witcha bruv
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

steevio wrote:
tone-def wrote:
what about the basic building blocks of harmony and melody?
you mean western classical handbag harmony and melody right ?

what about the basic building blocks of raw tribal tripped out percussive ecstacy ? :D
not exactly, but it's nice to hear notes going up and down in pitch. there's just no depth to these tracks, maybe that's the point of it? i don't know.

i think there's a difference between tripped out percussive ecstasy and monotonous rubbish. there's nothing wrong with music that's just beats but for me at least there needs to be polyrhythms or a least something expressive. these tunes just numb my mind, maybe some people like that?

i just want to know what the attraction is. how does this music make you feel?

i don't mean to insult anyones favorite music, we're not all going to like the same stuff but sometimes it's just easier to get your point across in an offensive way :)
Last edited by tone-def on Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

tone-def wrote:not exactly, but it's nice to hear notes going up and down in pitch. there's just no depth to these tracks, maybe that's the point of it? i don't know.

i think there's a difference between tripped out percussive ecstasy and monotonous rubbish. there's nothing wrong with music that's just beats but for me at least there needs to be polyrhythms or a least something expressive. these tunes just numb my mind, maybe some people like that?

i just want to know what the attraction is. how does this music make you feel?
i like this trippy industrial kinda style. Sandwell District melted a new hole in my mind when I saw them once. They were mainly droney textures and trippy rhythm. Combined with dark club and pulsing soundsystem = happy me.

To each their own I guess. I spend plenty of time complaining about music that's not for me. (and quite possibly change my mind after hearing with more drugs)

btw much lol @ handbag harmony/melody.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i did have a listen to some sandwell district stuff and i get it. but if i have a choice between sandwell district and shackleton then guess where i'll be.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gifOh8b4jxY
(if it's this example time we're havin')
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

tone-def wrote:i did have a listen to some sandwell district stuff and i get it. but if i have a choice between sandwell district and shackleton then guess where i'll be.
those 2 aren't so far apart imo. shackleton probably reaches deeper though, it has to be said. whther it's his use of melody or not.

Industrial kinda style has plenty of room for deepness though. Throbbing Gristle were making raw as fck techno maybe even before Detroit guys. (edit... but really i think music is very blurry about genre... all music is raw energy, apart from the stuff that isn't)
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

tone-def wrote: i just want to know what the attraction is. how does this music make you feel?
when i first got into techno this kind of music was all i wanted to hear.

big dark warehouses full of people completely mashed going mental to deep dark tribal music, its a million light years away from shuffling around to some loungey house wiv a cocktail in yer hand.

it was the future, taking it to the limit, trancing out on the banging hypnotic groove in one big swirling mass, you just cant imagine how powerful that music was back in the day.

if you dont know techno, you just dont know techno.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i know techno but i'm more attracted to the detroit side of it. stuff like Juan Atkins, Drexciya and Jeff Mills but i guess that's handbag music.

i just found those two tracks rhythmically boring and they didn't have anything else to make up for it. the point i'm trying to make is if your just going to make these percussion tracks you need some killer rhythms... better than what these tunes have.

it's all subjective anyway, i got into jazz and now i have a different perspective on techno.