i just got my first dubplate ever

- ask away
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

michaellpenman wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:
tsankip wrote:No point in comparing the two waves imho. Tracks sound much nicer and warmer on wax (if it's done properly) ;)

Just wondering if you have added some hiss / noise to the track yourself or is that just the dubplate?
That's why it would be a good idea to compare, no?
totally, listen to the differences and take notes.

surely if you dont like it you can get your money back, if you went to macdonalds and ordered a burger and got a shoe you would want your money back.

Maybe the mix was not good enough for a dub plate but the engineer should know this and have told you and advised some changes to help get the result
Not really; unless otherwise specified, cutting a dubplate usually involves the bare minimum of processing in order to make sure it can physically be cut to acetate (eg making the bass mono, taming some peaks, etc). Plenty of rubbish gets cut to acetate; just because it's on a physical medium doesn't mean there has to be any quality control.

OP: the waveform of your mp3 is quite heavily clipped. Was it like that when you sent it off? And is it actually like that on the vinyl or were you clipping the phono preamps?
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

michaellpenman wrote: you do know in all companys for mastering they have a QC department.
that way if there is a product that doesnt sound right it does not get sent out.
a engineer should not be doing some work if knows it will not work.
When some one sends a master to dubplate with wide bass, they should tell the produce or musician that they need to change it. And this goes for all problems.
it doesnt look good on the studio if they let products out that dont sound right.
What are you even talking about? Most mastering houses that deal with techno music have one link in the chain, and that's the mastering engineer. The bigger ones maybe have a receptionist/office person too, but that's it.

Also - unrelated - I think you're confusing mastering and dubplate cutting. You don't need to "master" anything to cut it to acetate, apart from the technical considerations like summing the bass to mono.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

do another mix and cut it again

maybe with another cutting house
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

michaellpenman wrote:
damagedgoods wrote:
michaellpenman wrote: you do know in all companys for mastering they have a QC department.
that way if there is a product that doesnt sound right it does not get sent out.
a engineer should not be doing some work if knows it will not work.
When some one sends a master to dubplate with wide bass, they should tell the produce or musician that they need to change it. And this goes for all problems.
it doesnt look good on the studio if they let products out that dont sound right.
What are you even talking about? Most mastering houses that deal with techno music have one link in the chain, and that's the mastering engineer. The bigger ones maybe have a receptionist/office person too, but that's it.

Also - unrelated - I think you're confusing mastering and dubplate cutting. You don't need to "master" anything to cut it to acetate, apart from the technical considerations like summing the bass to mono.
yeah sorry i was grouping them together.
but still they have qc. all companys do no matter what they do. tesco or sony etc etc.
that way they dont leak sh!t products in the world
You're not even in the right ballpark. Tesco and Sony are enormous multinational corporations. Most mastering houses are a couple of guys and a lathe. There is no Quality Control department.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

michaellpenman wrote:yeah sorry i was grouping them together.
but still they have qc. all companys do no matter what they do. tesco or sony etc etc.
that way they dont leak sh!t products in the world
Well... they do leak sh!t products in the world.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: i just got my first dubplate ever

Post by agodi »

Sorry to be unearthing an old topic but I liked this track and was wondering what became of it. Was it realeased in the end?
loureed
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by loureed »

no

email ericaditches@gmail.com for final version
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

this is such a bizarre thread, not much of it makes any sense, i hope it doesnt put people off getting dubplates done.

for the record there is no reason why a dubplate should sound much different to the original recording if it is done by a good cutting room. all the dubplates ive ever had done sounded almost exactly like the original file, with no mastering at all, and they were mostly done in shady cutting rooms in garages down dark alleys in South London, no appointment necessary, just queue up with the other bruvs.
quality control departments / getting your money back - you're 'aving a larf innit