Using white noise for bass

- ask away
Dektro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Using white noise for bass

Post by Dektro »

Has anyone ever used pure white noise solely for a bassline? I've read a few times you need to cover as much frequencies as possible to get the thickest bass sound, so why not starting with all frequencies and use say a bandfilter with some resonance to give it some direction? I've been playing with this a bit and I was wondering if people have actually made some tracks with it.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Wouldnt that be just a self oscillating filter creating a musical tone? Pretty unstable over a keyboard range id imagine. Or do you mean the noise itself generating a tuned chromatic notes?

Ive played around with noise and have been convinced that after some filter and envelope shaping, that noise is making a definite pitch but only from a percussive perspective, not for it to generate musical lines. If the synth has an A/440 tuning tone, try switching that in and test it.
Dektro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Dektro »

AK wrote:Wouldnt that be just a self oscillating filter creating a musical tone? Pretty unstable over a keyboard range id imagine. Or do you mean the noise itself generating a tuned chromatic notes?.
I mean using the noise to fill the bass range rather than creating musical basslines. You often hear those basslines with just a stab of one bassnote and it's harmonics. So what if you use noise as a starting point so you have a range of frequencies instead of a selection of harmonics?

Here's an example I made with analog in live:
http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/78093226/file.html
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I cant listen at the moment as im on my mobile, recently moved and all my gear and pc is away in storage while i decorate. Will check it tomorrow via library.

I know you're saying noise contains a whole bunch of frequencies but theres no fundamental as all would be pretty much the same amplitude, so im imagining a low pass filtered percussive sound rather than a bass with tonality. That is unless the filters resonance has given it tone?

Like i say though, cant hear today unfortunately and its not something ive tried so just educated guesswork as to how it would sound or work. White noise?
Dektro
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Dektro »

AK wrote:I know you're saying noise contains a whole bunch of frequencies but theres no fundamental as all would be pretty much the same amplitude, so im imagining a low pass filtered percussive sound rather than a bass with tonality. That is unless the filters resonance has given it tone?
The resonance gives it somewhat of a tone, but it's not tonal, like you say. So I'm thinking is it absolutely necessary to have a completely tonal baseline, or can I choose a small range of frequencies (let's say 5Hz under and above the resonated frequency) instead of that pure tone? Which one will sound better?
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

sounds like a good idea... just trust your ears.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Armando_C
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Armando_C »

Really good man!
Christ Lewis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Christ Lewis »

Dektro wrote:Here's an example I made with analog in live:
http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/78093226/file.html
Sounds a bit noisy (duh), but I can see it work.