mbase 11

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

hydrogen wrote:before you guys slash on using pre-amps on your signal... which pre-amps have you tried on your signals?

I bought the amp for my condenser mic and it made a world of difference there... especially compared to vocals. I've been experimenting with different inputs on my RME and everything... and personally i like what the pre-73 does to the sound of the mbase11. There is probably more too it though and I haven't done any real A/B stuff but just knowing what i'm recording i'm able to get the kick to set in the mix better when its through the pre. Cheers!
heheh, no offence to your hearing or taste intended! It probably sounds nice, but I question the value of buying one ahead of getting better gear, unless you have one lying around anyways.

I guess the most important thing is how you feel about it yourself. Even the science behind sound equipment can be meaningless compared to how you actually feel about the sound. Most engineer types that I know have laughed at me when I say I am using old technology like vacuum tubes or magnetic tape.

I think the logic of putting a line level signal into a gain stage is not strong enough to justify spending money on a tool like this ahead of a more creative sound design tool, but I haven't tried it myself, or done proper ABing.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

deccard wrote:are you reamping the signal or going into the instrument input of the pre-73? and how is the buildquality? i heard a lot good stuff about the sound of the gap.
Not sure about build quality... its a just a painted red metal box with two knobs on it. seems sturdy though... the first GAP was DOA. Sent it back and the next one is good 2 years since. The sound difference is obvious to me when using the pre or not mainly on both of the dynamic and condensor mics. As far as the synths go... i use to attenuate the signal... No need to get into pre-amp stuff really here... just wanted to see how people were processing their mbase before hitting the DAC or afterwards.