Energy

- ask away
simonb
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Energy

Post by simonb »

I've got a (potentially) interesting question - how do you create the right amount of momentum and energy in your productions? Lately I seem to find it hard to get the right "feel" if that makes any sense, stuff turns out sounding a bit more laidback than I'd like it to. So I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for getting just the right amount, whether you're going for a peak-time track or something more subdued?

Is it all about the kick and bass? Sometimes when my kick and bass are sounding pumping on their own, when I bring everyhing else in it seems to lose a bit of its pace. Drum programming? Mixing issue? The use of certain sounds? Discuss :)
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

it's really something that some producers develop over time. it's like eating stir fry, starting by only eating the blandest morsels, and every minute add another ingredient from your plate to the mix. save about 1/4 of the dish for later. after eating different deconstructed cross sections of the recipe, taking away elements at times, adding 2 more in their place, but always tethered by sauce. finally at the end eat the remaining 1/4 of the dish that you set aside earlier.
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 742617000027 »

This + steam machine sound.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Energy

Post by tone-def »

simonb wrote: Is it all about the kick and bass? Sometimes when my kick and bass are sounding pumping on their own, when I bring everyhing else in it seems to lose a bit of its pace. Drum programming? Mixing issue? The use of certain sounds? Discuss :)
sounds like your got too much going on when you bring everything back in.
MarcAshken
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MarcAshken »

i think alot of it has to do with the hats, hats on a half step will slow the pace down, also the shuffle goes a long way to helping, moving the hats so they are a little late will make the track sound a bit more laid back than if they're moved to hit a little early, this doesnt necessarialy mean all the hats, maybe just the ones in the 2nd and 4th measure. Same goes for the snare, a lazy snare will slow a track down.
x
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

its not just hats or just the percussions.
its everything together and whats make a good track. if it drives people on the dancefloor and you develop a good 'story' than you got a good track.

try to make every part to sound good on its own with the kick and bass and not programming everything together.
if something makes it to laid back, swing it a few ms backwards until you find the right spot.
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by 742617000027 »

Stomper wrote:try to make every part to sound good on its own with the kick and bass and not programming everything together.
What for? You will never listen to most channels on their own. So why should you get your head around making smth sound good that no one else will ever hear? Ofc, I sometimes solo channels to hear if there are disturbing noises or such, but I never focus on making a channel sound great on its own. There is no sense to it anyway. If you finished editing all the channels so they sound good with kick and bass and then turn all channels on, all you will get is a very unpleasing mash of noise and lot's of digital clips. Bravo. Oh, I forgot. The first thing you would adivse someone to do is surely to put a limiter on the sum ;)
S.D.L
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by S.D.L »

742617000027 wrote:
Stomper wrote:try to make every part to sound good on its own with the kick and bass and not programming everything together.
What for? You will never listen to most channels on their own. So why should you get your head around making smth sound good that no one else will ever hear? Ofc, I sometimes solo channels to hear if there are disturbing noises or such, but I never focus on making a channel sound great on its own. There is no sense to it anyway. If you finished editing all the channels so they sound good with kick and bass and then turn all channels on, all you will get is a very unpleasing mash of noise and lot's of digital clips. Bravo. Oh, I forgot. The first thing you would adivse someone to do is surely to put a limiter on the sum ;)
Don't listen to this Richie Hawtin clone.

Take the advice Marc And Stomper gave you.

They know what they're talking about and have the productions 2 back that up.
you are what you tweed