loop etiquitte

- ask away
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by MagpieIndustries »

I thought using loops was cheating, so I programmed my own using samples. I then thought using samples was cheating, so I recorded real drums. I then thought that programming it was cheating, so I learned to play drums for real. I then thought using bought drums was cheating, so I learned to make my own. I then thought using premade skins was cheating, so I killed a goat and skinned it. I then thought that that was cheating too, so I grew my own goat from a baby goat. I also think that is cheating, but I'm not sure where to go from here. I haven't made any music lately, what with the goat farming and all.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

hydrogen wrote:
aciduss wrote:But again, if you are producing elektronika then why do you care about the real ambiences or recording conditions?
wow. real or not... this is probably the most important thing when making a recording of any kind.
true.

To the OP. Everything has it's place man. You can "loop" anything. It doesn't mean it will line up, but in theory, anything can be looped.

Maybe, you're asking about using samples to make music? For a long time I made music with samples only. Being able to take something and make something completely new is so fun.

Now I synthesize, record my own sounds, sample records, video games, television, whatever.

As long as you have fun making music man, do whatever.
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

MagpieIndustries wrote:I thought using loops was cheating, so I programmed my own using samples. I then thought using samples was cheating, so I recorded real drums. I then thought that programming it was cheating, so I learned to play drums for real. I then thought using bought drums was cheating, so I learned to make my own. I then thought using premade skins was cheating, so I killed a goat and skinned it. I then thought that that was cheating too, so I grew my own goat from a baby goat. I also think that is cheating, but I'm not sure where to go from here. I haven't made any music lately, what with the goat farming and all.
This one has it all figured out.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

MagpieIndustries wrote:I thought using loops was cheating, so I programmed my own using samples. I then thought using samples was cheating, so I recorded real drums. I then thought that programming it was cheating, so I learned to play drums for real. I then thought using bought drums was cheating, so I learned to make my own. I then thought using premade skins was cheating, so I killed a goat and skinned it. I then thought that that was cheating too, so I grew my own goat from a baby goat. I also think that is cheating, but I'm not sure where to go from here. I haven't made any music lately, what with the goat farming and all.
\

Ahahahahhahaa, brilliant, just brilliant, made my day! :lol:
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

if you are good at making loops, then you should do it. if you get lost in trying to find samples to make loops from, and it becomes distracting and you never get anything done (happened to me mid 2000's) then stop using them.

i tend to take noises and improvised sounds, then make 2, 4, 8, 16 second loops. usually my songs are constructed from a dozen or so simultaneous loops. if i sample someone elses sounds, then i usually strip it into microsecond blips which then gets tons of delay/reverb to create sustain.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

forget goats, use your own skin!
breaktwister
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by breaktwister »

MagpieIndustries wrote:I haven't made any music lately, what with the goat farming and all.
:lol:
breaktwister
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by breaktwister »

Nothing wrong with using loops as long as you don't just drag and drop. I always start off getting a groove going with percussion loops, chopping bits out that I like and adding effects, different groove patterns etc.

I never end up importing a loop and not cutting pieces out or rearranging it.

A large majority of the time I end up using single hits from a number of loops to build up my groove. Using loops to me is 'instant inspiration' - even though I end up using single hits extracted from the loops it would take me a lot longer to try and program my beats using straight-up one-shots.