movement/accents on percussion

- ask away
Rein
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rein »

Some techniques that might be helpfull and are all present in ableton:
-frequency shifter: set it up real moderate, and automate it out of sync (i like my lfo to handle that)
-auto filters, low pass or high pass, depends on the drums
-split the signal from one drum (left/right) and apply different effects on both signals, you can use all the effects that sound good to you.

There are many many more techniques, but these are some basic, easy to use ones that'll give good results. The automation part is essential, especially with Ableton cause it'll sound like a bunch of loops if you don't.
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

I am not trolling. I am genuinely trying to help him.

The best piece of advice that I can give you is to not listen to any of these clowns when it comes to drums. Listen to old 70's jazz and funk records. The last thing you want to do is sound like a bunch of washed up mnml euro-weenies.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

Casanova808 wrote:Quit being a peckerhead, buy a drum machine already. Everybody knows you can make mnml in 2010 without real analogue hardware!
This post sounds a lot like a post I read a few days ago...
Casanova808 wrote:Quit being a chump, everybody knows you can't make mnml without a Mac.

Now shell out $199 for Logic express and quit wasting the forum's time.
Oh No! hes one of thoooose guys. You know the kind... they once have some moderate success with a joke or saying and then they try to work it in at EVERY possible opportunity until its even less funny then it was the first time. :roll:
breaktwister
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by breaktwister »

I don't use any samples that came with Ableton, I have a few different sample packs that I use, I like that 2020 vision deep tech one atm.

It's not the quality of hits thats the problem, it's getting movement into percussion parts, that's why I asked the question - to see if everyone is mainly sample based programming into a sequencer or do I need to look into some other kit.
breaktwister
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by breaktwister »

Rein wrote:Some techniques that might be helpfull and are all present in ableton:
-frequency shifter: set it up real moderate, and automate it out of sync (i like my lfo to handle that)
-auto filters, low pass or high pass, depends on the drums
-split the signal from one drum (left/right) and apply different effects on both signals, you can use all the effects that sound good to you.

There are many many more techniques, but these are some basic, easy to use ones that'll give good results. The automation part is essential, especially with Ableton cause it'll sound like a bunch of loops if you don't.
Brilliant first post! I was thinking I need to try some subtle automated effects. Never really used the freq shifter but I'll defo be tryin that later.
Menno
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Menno »

Casanova808 wrote: Listen to old 70's jazz and funk records.
now that's a good tip, that's also what i do, try to listen to non electronic music for your percussion, or search on youtube tutorials about drums etc.

for the rest your comments are pretty lame man, first let us listen what you make before you call people clowns and euroweenies.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

breaktwister wrote: It's not the quality of hits thats the problem, it's getting movement into percussion parts, that's why I asked the question - to see if everyone is mainly sample based programming into a sequencer or do I need to look into some other kit.
Battery is pretty good for modulation options. every Reaktor drum machine i've tried is very lively too.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

breaktwister wrote:I don't use any samples that came with Ableton, I have a few different sample packs that I use, I like that 2020 vision deep tech one atm.

It's not the quality of hits thats the problem, it's getting movement into percussion parts, that's why I asked the question - to see if everyone is mainly sample based programming into a sequencer or do I need to look into some other kit.
you know bro, its not about the kit or the software, if you're bored its probably because you using the rhythmic cliche's and they stop you from breathing.
experiment with the most un-obvious things you can think of.
like instead of the standard off-beat hihat try silence. if silence is repetitive it can have just as powerful rhythmic effect as a hit, space is so important for a groove to work.
one of the quickest ways to get out of the cliche trap, is to never use a snare hit, clap etc. on the 2 and 4 beats, i always go on about this, but i really believe alot of people just put them in there because they just think they have no choice in dance music. its so wrong, you get much more movement if you put those hits in places of syncopation.
same with the bass, avoid the offbeat, or just use the offbeat as a kind of puncuation.
as someone else said, syncopation is the key, and polyrhthmic punctuation. learn about polyrhythm.
you can listen to as much stuff as you like and analyse it, but in the end you've got to feel it yourself, you've got to be that drummer, and that takes time, just as it would if you were learning the drums.