Analogue Mixer (again)

- ask away
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Analogue Mixer (again)

Post by Stomper »

I posted a thread about it some time ago, at the time i did not know what i want from the mixer yet. but now that i know i think it will make things easier.

-I want to buy a new one, so it needs to be in production.
-18-24 inputs (i can manage without aux/groups) with insert to each.
-2-3 stereo sends.
-18-24 outputs. i want to be able to record each track into different audio tracks in my DAW. i dont want just the final stereo track as i might want to go back and change things or give separate tracks for a remix. at this time im not sure yet if those USB mixer are a better solution than analogue outputs to the interface pre amps (i have 16 inputs and willing to add more if i need to).
-At this moment, i prefer a cheap mixer and not using the EQ (i understood that cheap mixer usually have a poor eq).
-Im looking for an analogue mixer, not digital or control surface. if im going to buy one, i want it to have that analogue coloration (even if the color is not as good as with the expensive stuff).
-I prefer a rack mixer if possible.

why i want a mixer?
I wasnt thinking a head enough and have a 'hybrid' studio with analogue synth, digital hardware synths and software synths. the latency is killing me and i think a mixer is the best solution.

Stomper.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Hi.

I use a A&H Zed R16 and can't recommend it enough. I think at the moment 16 channels is as much as you are going to get in an analog mixer, the best value for price being the A&H or perhaps the Mackie Onyx 1640i. I like the sound of A&H stuff better.

If you can hold out for a while, the Zed R24 is coming out soon and will have a ton of cool features.

Otherwise you could go digital, and there are a ton of options there, but I wanted analog.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

it all depends on your budget
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Torque wrote:it all depends on your budget
Yes. i keep drooling over the z r16, but thats too much, even more when i havent yet experienced a mixer with my setup.

though, i was looking at the Zed22.
just a few things im not sure of. is the zed22 also an audio interface? theres nothing on a&h site about asio driver. can the usb output send 16 or more tracks at one time properly?

Stomper.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

The zed r series is firewire and has an audio interface built in with converters per channel, so it ends up being 18x18, with option for another 8x8 via optical.

All the other zeds on the market currently only have 2x2 i/o so that they can record a 2-track stereo mix.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Really? only those expensive hybrids mixers has that amount of outputs?
Even if i save up for a zed r16/24, im not sure how i feel about spending that much money for a first mixer.
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

you want that much and dont want to spend money -smurf
its all about the rhythm
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Stomper wrote:Really? only those expensive hybrids mixers has that amount of outputs?
Even if i save up for a zed r16/24, im not sure how i feel about spending that much money for a first mixer.
I hear ya man. I was completely freaked out myself buying the r16, but I could never go back now. It would cost nearly as much just to get that much decent i/o. I would never want to make music without it again, its the brain of my whole studio and brings my whole world together in one place. Plus its a lot smaller than you might realize, and ultra well built.

I can't say enough about it, but then again I love to jam on my hardware, and nothing feels better than having up to 16 clean stems recorded to do anything I want with later. Its awesome.

Again, totally get the idea of having cold feet about it, but all I can say is that its a totally awesome companion to a daw for anyone who likes to use hardware in their stuff.

Oh, and the EQ's and pres sound great. I have a couple of pieces from the Neve Portico series sitting in my rack and would say the zed pres/eq section is barely a step down from it. The EQ just gives off soooo much sweet nectar!