best way to use Sample CDs?

- ask away
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

Raddler wrote:For me one shots are justified. Full loops i won't touch no matter how good they are. If I was forced to use pre made loops to make music, i'd quit all together!! There's just no satisfaction in using other peoples creations. I generally just hold onto the one shots and scrap the loops. If the loop has a really cool sound in it i'll sample that one sound, that's it. There's this one producer that I had so much admiration for, but I recently found out that lots of his percussion loops were pre made. The latter quickly killed the admiration!!
+1, although I'm not really a purist about it, especially for live percussion.

I tend to program stuff myself cos it's fun, but if someone wants to loop a 2-bar recording of a guy playing bongos rather than select and program individual hits that's fine by me. (Except that bongo house makes me want to hurt people and if you make bongo house I will hunt you down and smash up your computer.)
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

that's why they call him damagedgoods -twisted 8) :!:
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

haha
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

damagedgoods wrote: but if someone wants to loop a 2-bar recording of a guy playing bongos rather than select and program individual hits that's fine by me. (Except that bongo house makes me want to hurt people and if you make bongo house I will hunt you down and smash up your computer.)
I feel the same when I hear that damn APACHE break, man I hate that thing!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I think I'm the same as everyone else here. I do have sample cd's but I find it terribly difficult to actually use a loop.

I make pretty much everything from scratch and that includes individual percussive sounds - usually via Absynth or Drumsynth and then sequence those hits myself and make loops via resampling and recycling everything etc etc.

Total control of pitch timbre, envelopes, everything and it's far more rewarding too.

I have used loops in the past as I was into Breakbeat and this stuff is based on sampled drum breaks but not with electronica, for me it kinda defeats the object. That said, I have nicked one shots out of a loop and have used samples other people have made. I'd use a loop if it was interesting and if it was not off a sample cd available to millions. Something public domain for instance?

I have got sample cd's though and I find them useful for inspiration. For instance, you can fire up your DAW, cycle a few loops and mix n match and suddenly find a groove that appeals to you. But then what I do is go about using that idea as a basis but actually create the sounds myself and build up this layer with my own synths and sounds. So for that respect, I find use with them.

For me the beauty of electronic music is the fact that it is electronic - which means using electronic instruments to create your music. Jigsawing together other peoples music isn't what I intended to do when I got into this. Otherwise I'd have stuck with ejay.

Each to their own but if you actually bother to create your own sounds and learn percussive synthesis and you have an ear for a good groove and know the details, you produce far superior results anyway. Half of what I hear on some sample cd's is actually very poor, cheezy, and has nothing of intere4st for me.
samurai
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by samurai »

i use one shots from sample cds. but i've used straight loops i've ripped from vinyl before. i think there is a difference between going out and finding loops and using them out of context as opposed to purchasing the latest minimal tech loop pack and throwing a song together.
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

they make great coasters.

as a graphic designer, i just see sample cds like clip art. i cant do it I wont do it. Its too easy to make your own sounds that are just as good or better and uniquely yours.
signatures suck
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

I think, the best way to use sample CD's is to put the CD/DVD in your CD/DVD drive in the computer.