Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

satavarma
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by satavarma »

I enjoy working with drum and effect loops that have some organic touch in rhythm and texture. I try to fit it with programmed beats by cutting it up and re-organizing it to match rhytmically. Usually I cut it to 1/8 notes so I have decent resolution for my edits but the bits still have the original shuffle.

I prefer hand played acoustic material, collections of loops made in sequencer using samples don't interest me that much. Also percussive or atonal instead of melodic.
djshiva
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djshiva »

Loops were made to be mangled.

Doesn't anyone ever chop the hell out of em, run em through 5 different effects units and just resample em into random monstrosities?

Oh, that's just me? OK.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

djshiva wrote:Loops were made to be mangled.

Doesn't anyone ever chop the hell out of em, run em through 5 different effects units and just resample em into random monstrosities?

Oh, that's just me? OK.
it's not just you. thats all they're good for.

i think sample CD's take the fun out of sampling. i've been busy sampling sounds form VSTi that i'm not going to use when i get my new computer . the stuff i've made is so much better and more unique sounding and i've been having a great time.

why would anyone want to use sample CD's of electronic sounds when we all have access to electronic instruments? what DAW doesn't come with a soft synth? sample the sh!t out of that, do some processing and then resample it.

acoustic samples are cool because it takes a lot more effort getting hold of the real instrument and the right mic to record it.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

tone-def wrote:
why would anyone want to use sample CD's of electronic sounds when we all have access to electronic instruments?
acoustic samples are cool because it takes a lot more effort getting hold of the real instrument and the right mic to record it.
That's exactly my point too, I can't understand being involved in electronic music and not wanting to create electronic sounds. Baffling!

It was only recently that I even thought about using 'real' sounds in electronic/techno music. Got hold of some Jazzy drumming samples and a few soft brush-like loops work really well chopped up and placed under an electronic rhythm.....

No guilt doing that! :lol:
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

AK wrote:
tone-def wrote:
why would anyone want to use sample CD's of electronic sounds when we all have access to electronic instruments?
That's exactly my point too, I can't understand being involved in electronic music and not wanting to create electronic sounds. Baffling!

It was only recently that I even thought about using 'real' sounds in electronic/techno music. Got hold of some Jazzy drumming samples and a few soft brush-like loops work really well chopped up and placed under an electronic rhythm.....

I think this explains why I dunno how to use the Sample CD's to begin with... what am I supposed to do with (for example Goldbaby SH101 sample CD) it's a gazilllion little bleeps and bloops of the unit, but I can't make it sound like I'm playing an SH101 unless I WAS Playing the SH101, I'll just use a VSTi and make it sound as close as possible to what I'm after... I don't get how to use sample CDs of synths. One shots of a drummachine is straight forward, but drones and synths don't make sense
djshiva
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by djshiva »

AK wrote:
tone-def wrote:

Well, for me sometimes I use random loops as quickie ideas to get started. I personally am not a sound designer and don't want to be. I can't get into the tedium of noodling for hours before I even get started.

So sometimes I throw some dumb loop into the DAW and just start tossing effects on it, cut it up, rearrange the affected sound...it's just a quickie way to get some inspiration and get a sound to play with.

Once I have something, then I may get into making some weird synth bit to go with it, or perfecting a hot snare to use with it. But not everyone wants to be a damn sound designer, honestly. I am easily bored and don't have time for it, so sometimes something random that I can mangle becomes a lot of fun to play with.

I can understand not wanting to hear loops jacked straight offa sample packs and dropped in tunes. I get that. But not a damn thing wrong with having some fun with em, IMO.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

djshiva wrote:
AK wrote:
tone-def wrote:

Well, for me sometimes I use random loops as quickie ideas to get started. I personally am not a sound designer and don't want to be. I can't get into the tedium of noodling for hours before I even get started.

So sometimes I throw some dumb loop into the DAW and just start tossing effects on it, cut it up, rearrange the affected sound...it's just a quickie way to get some inspiration and get a sound to play with.

Once I have something, then I may get into making some weird synth bit to go with it, or perfecting a hot snare to use with it. But not everyone wants to be a damn sound designer, honestly. I am easily bored and don't have time for it, so sometimes something random that I can mangle becomes a lot of fun to play with.

I can understand not wanting to hear loops jacked straight offa sample packs and dropped in tunes. I get that. But not a damn thing wrong with having some fun with em, IMO.
but what your doing is sound design... even if your just putting random effects on there and you have no idea what your doing. there is more sound design going on there than someone who makes their own drum loop out of one shots. it doesn't take long to put your own loops together, it's the most basic skills for making techno.

if you can't program a techno drum loop i recommend you practice it. it will take your music to another level. i bet you can program your own loops and your just making excuses ;)