Having difficulties for building drum sequences

- ask away
verdisQUO
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by verdisQUO »

Having a similar dilemma myself. Basically in the context of loops.

Don't want to use them, but they do make a lot of difference when you just stick them in your tune. Strangely enough, I do feel a bit "lazy" when I just stick one in there. To each their own I know. I'm devoting the rest of this month and the next just to analyzing and programming loops myself just so that I can get better at them and not rely on loops made from others.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

Why not just get something like an Akai MPD, load up some sounds to your sound source of choice, press record (both sound and MIDI) and start banging? Some interesting rhythmic bits are bound to happen sooner or later, even if your playing is sub-par.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:
the best way to get the body knowledge is to dance,

Unless you have got two left feet! :lol:

I can dance myself and actually got into music through dancing ( breakdancing ) but I know a few guys who make Dance music who can't move for sh*t!

I always wondered though, if being able to feel a rhythm/dance is somehow beneficial to actually making music that has a groove!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

AK wrote:
Unless you have got two left feet! :lol:

I can dance myself and actually got into music through dancing ( breakdancing ) but I know a few guys who make Dance music who can't move for sh*t!

I always wondered though, if being able to feel a rhythm/dance is somehow beneficial to actually making music that has a groove!
i think dancing to music is a direct form of listening.

But I don't know if I can seperate dancing from oher accepted forms of music appreciation, such as standing awkwardly and scracthing your chin, or listening on earphones and bobbing your head stupidly without realising.

I don't think anyone 'can dance'. Everyone looks equally stupid or not stupid when moving to music, regardless of their perceived level of ability.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

to the OP.

Maybe listen to records that you think are funky as fck, and try to work out all those tiny pieces of the puzzle that make it like that. The relationship between the tones... how the hard the notes are struck, what information is there and what is being left out. how tiny differences in timing make a big difference to how a pattern feels. Be obsessive with your study.

Maybe playing drums works for you, maybe not. I have a friend that played his conga for hours. I would get bored.

Maybe go to a good techno night and get lost in a way that you find appealing.

Maybe just fiddle with a sequencer and find somethings you like.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Probably totally unrelated but i thought i'd mention it anyway. In Worcester UK, there are two guys who have built what can be described as a 'dual drum kit' out of two plastic oil drums ( for the bass drums ) and the other guy has a set of percussive instruments ranging from a builders hard hat to a plant pot ( can't remember what else )

They are attatched on what appears to be two bbq frameworks and use some man made beaters to play them.

Gotta say, they are very good indeed, some really cool tribal and polyrhythms going on, and unbeknown to most, the 'drums' are tonally set. Ie: like your average toms might be. Awesome street music.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

AK wrote:Probably totally unrelated but i thought i'd mention it anyway. In Worcester UK, there are two guys who have built what can be described as a 'dual drum kit' out of two plastic oil drums ( for the bass drums ) and the other guy has a set of percussive instruments ranging from a builders hard hat to a plant pot ( can't remember what else )

They are attatched on what appears to be two bbq frameworks and use some man made beaters to play them.

Gotta say, they are very good indeed, some really cool tribal and polyrhythms going on, and unbeknown to most, the 'drums' are tonally set. Ie: like your average toms might be. Awesome street music.
i played in a weird long jam session with a big group of people once.

one of the guys was playing on home made drums and random household bits and pieces. it was really effective and musically interesting.

i think the jam session was pretty dirgey but a good way to spend a day. in a stroke of luck we were playing in an empty cafe above a big Carphone Warehouse during saturday peak trading hours. I've never had so much fun making disturbing sub bass in my life.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote: but I know a few guys who make Dance music who can't move for sh*t!
thats gonna be some real groovy music those guys make.