Having difficulties for building drum sequences

- ask away
tintin2085
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tintin2085 »

The book "Drum programming a complete guide to program" is nice but I still having difficulties for making nice beats. I think the only way to progress is a lot of practice. The solution of buying congas can be nice but, i don't want to invest into it :? I will maybe buy some shakers because i only find loops that are realistics the samples sounds static for me :lol:
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

patrick bateman wrote:when I started producing, I was loading up different drum loops, perc loops etc etc, which made me realized what is used to make complete drum pattern interesting.

Could be something you could look into..
Yeah this is what I used to do. I then used to try and create the exact same loop, using my own samples. I really think making your own drums is essential and not using loops as for me the drums is what starts off someone’s signature sound.
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

tintin,

ive been feeling the same way in my own work for the longest.
and ive not been producing for so long that im some expert who can tell you what to do but i think you'd benefit from giving your elements some swing! (that is, if you havent already) i say this from personal experience, because somehow even though ive read about swing tons of times, ive only recently started implementing it in some of my tracks and i gotta say the results are so much groovier than me previous efforts.

other than that its just practice and learning new techniques and just trial and error i think. you say youve only been producing for 4 months. me only ten months. it takes a while to really learn this stuff, you know? you just gotta keep at it and learn as much as you can! :)
PBLondon
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by PBLondon »

Hi,

tintin, have you considered doing a music production course? If you're having trouble getting past that initial stepping stone that we've all faced when producing tunes, investing in an intensive course will teach you so much and bring you a long way in a short amount of time.

Firstly, what DAW do you use? The main ones we cover are Logic and Ableton, although we do beginners courses in Reason and Cubase. Have a look at this little LogicPro tutorial video which might help you out a bit - http://www.youtube.com/user/pointblanko ... rQllWhVw58

Also, check out the Point Blank site and have a browse through the different kinds of courses we offer - http://www.pointblankonline.net/

If you have any feedback or queries feel free to get back and I'll happily answer any questions. Hope this helps.

Point Blank
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

::BLM:: wrote:
patrick bateman wrote:when I started producing, I was loading up different drum loops, perc loops etc etc, which made me realized what is used to make complete drum pattern interesting.

Could be something you could look into..
Yeah this is what I used to do. I then used to try and create the exact same loop, using my own samples. I really think making your own drums is essential and not using loops as for me the drums is what starts off someone’s signature sound.
I think there's a lot to be said for this as well. Avoid getting lazy though, use it as a reverse engineering approach. IE: If you have a full loop available, then a series of individual loops which make up the whole, study it all and see how things work.
Gill
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Gill »

I sure like pre fader delay sends on toms, and other percs.

Add a few more delays with weird effects, like resonators, flangers, pitch shifters, some of the audio damage stuff, and any other weird effects you can find; you'll start getting lots of new sounds.

Start sending them to each other and it really gets gnarly.
KrisM
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by KrisM »

It took me a few years to be really proficient at drums. It's still my weakest point, but i'm a lot stronger now than I was when first starting.
Casanova808 wrote:I think the best thing you could do is buy a cheap set of congas and a couple books on hand percussion and spend six months learning how to play them.
you know, at first I thought you were being a smart ass.

but that is actually a really good idea.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I'm not seeing the logic there at all. Why would somebody wishing to make electronic beats on drum machines/whatever want to spend 6 months on a pair of congas?

If that's the case, why not spend 6 months on a real drum kit?

Not for me at all, I've never heard of 6 month long conga playing sessions as an ideal entry into programming electronic drum sequences.