DYNAUDIO BM5A vs. ADAM A7

- ask away
JayBliss
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

DYNAUDIO BM5A vs. ADAM A7

Post by JayBliss »

I want to upgrade my studio monitors to something new. Any thoughts, ideeas would be highly apreciated. Even some other monitors within the 1000 euros range. Thanks!

http://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_a7.htm
or
http://www.thomann.de/gb/dynaudio_bm5a.htm

Just saw an upgrade for Adam A7. It's an option too
http://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_a7x.htm
Alex Bizzaro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Alex Bizzaro »

i have bm5a and in my opinion are good...
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

A7 all the way. Thats what I use and I can't really complain.
I'm lusting for an Adam P11A though. I'm hoping to upgrade to that once I'm finished with some stuff I'm doing now...

If you have the cash for P11A then give it a shot! You won't be disappointed!
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

Don't believe anyone who tells you one is better than the other; go listen for yourself and pick whatever you prefer. In the same price range you could check out the KRK VXT8s and Mackie HR824s. Both have 8" drivers and lower bass extension, some people argue at the expense of detail in the mids and highs.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
JayBliss
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by JayBliss »

i know i should go, listen and compare, but i can't find these in romania and i'm just trying to make an ideea before ordering them. i've heard the dynaudios and they are good, but someone gave me the heads up for the adams ...
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

JayBliss wrote:i know i should go, listen and compare, but i can't find these in romania and i'm just trying to make an ideea before ordering them. i've heard the dynaudios and they are good, but someone gave me the heads up for the adams ...
Ok, well, here's how I felt about them:

A7: Best overall sound but too high a bass cutoff for my purposes. Would probably be great with a subwoofer but I couldn't afford one

Bm5a: Beautiful mids and highs but an even higher bass cutoff than the A7s, and what bass there was, sounded kind of "honky" and resonant around 100Hz or so. Maybe because of the small box. Bm7s were better but too expensive

VXT8s: What I ended up going with. IMHO they were pretty flat and unhyped, and have a decent bass response. They can be a little tiring in the midrange after a few hours but not excessively so.

HR824s: Had the lowest bass extension, but quite scooped mids and sounded a bit too forgiving. Would be nice as an expensive hi-fi.

I'm happy with the VXTs, but I probably would've gone with the A7s if I didn't also make dubstep and really need the bass extension. I also didn't really want a system with a subwoofer.

Caveat: the VXT8s are BIG speakers and quite heavy. You could pretty much use them as midfields too. If you've got a small desk then I'd probably go for the A7s.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
Roqqert
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Roqqert »

i would buy the dynaudios... THO i would search for the mk1's. Most of the shops sell mk2's and they sound a bit rumbly in the lowend. Tho just go to a shop mr bliss and listen. You need to trust your ears and not somebody elses comment imo. I know my ears fit the bm5a
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

yamaha hs80m