New Korg Emx & Esx SD models

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

dubgil wrote:
Opuswerk wrote:Paul Frick did his LWE podcast on one of those as well if i recall correctly...
Thanks for the tip, I own an ESX, don't use it as much as I should, this is a fire under my a** now
The main thing i like about the EMX is its simply a hands on drum computer... you can improvise and freestyle stuff that would take you about 10 times as long in your sequencer. So for me its a really quick way to generate audio content.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Brankis
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Brankis »

dubgil wrote:
Brankis wrote: . people say they're junky but plenty of top artists still using these things

such as who???
Reboot uses both ESX and EMX in his current liveset and he was one of top live acts of 2009 on resident advisor. ive also seen cabanne and villalobos as well as many other artists.

who cares though, these machines are not just classics for dance music. i know many people making all kinds of downtempo and trip-hop that love them as well
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

Brankis wrote:
dubgil wrote:
Brankis wrote: . people say they're junky but plenty of top artists still using these things

such as who???
Reboot uses both ESX and EMX in his current liveset and he was one of top live acts of 2009 on resident advisor. ive also seen cabanne and villalobos as well as many other artists.
nice, this is why I asked the question as I'm not up on all that stuff... thanks man
dubgil
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil »

hydrogen wrote:
The main thing i like about the EMX is its simply a hands on drum computer... you can improvise and freestyle stuff that would take you about 10 times as long in your sequencer. So for me its a really quick way to generate audio content.
This is undeniable and somethig that keeps me hanging on to the EMX. However, I do get frustrated with the drum sounds, even with the tubes, they suck imo. Some of the Synth engine stuff can get really good sounds, but over all it's a thin sound, yet a deep machine
twisted-space
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by twisted-space »

dubgil wrote:
hydrogen wrote:
This is undeniable and somethig that keeps me hanging on to the EMX. However, I do get frustrated with the drum sounds, even with the tubes, they suck imo. Some of the Synth engine stuff can get really good sounds, but over all it's a thin sound, yet a deep machine
If you're really unhappy with the sounds you can always use it to trigger other kit.
Pick up an old akai or emu sampler they go for peanuts nowadays, add a zip disk or hard disk full of drum sounds and away you go. Or a drumstation, procussion, or something like a JV1080.

The cool thing about the EMX is the sequencer (who needs a europa?), not the sounds.
twisted-space
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by twisted-space »

I should have also mentioned that the synth parts can also do some decent drum sounds (very much like the ER1).