noob compression question

- ask away
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

noob compression question

Post by goomba »

Ok i just got logic and i have created a simple bassline side chained to a kick drum. Basically when i mute the kick drum the bassline rises significantly in volume. I want to stop this from happening. Do i use a noise gate? if so how do i set it up
thanks in advance
who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.
goomba
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by goomba »

should i just switch a gate on when i mute the kick?
who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.
frickler
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by frickler »

make an extra track for the sidechain kick (just double the kick track) and let it go to e.g. bus 1, giving that bus no output. than just use bus 1 as the sidechain source. that way you can control the sidechaining even if the real kicks not playing.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

frickler wrote:make an extra track for the sidechain kick (just double the kick track) and let it go to e.g. bus 1, giving that bus no output. than just use bus 1 as the sidechain source. that way you can control the sidechaining even if the real kicks not playing.
you should be able to do this with the post fader send button on the kick send channel, without havin to make an extra one,u can just turn the volume down of the kick and ul still be able to hear the ducking (in Cubase that is) should be similar in Logic..
klankeffect
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by klankeffect »

what i'v read about compression, is that you shouldn't hear a lot difference in volume...
try to hold down the make up ore gain a bit. In a sidechain routement the compressor should only work when the kick is there. no?
grtz
lessizmoremoreizless
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

yeah, its just that your kick is ducking too much of the bassline.
a)turn your kick down
b)turn the decay on your kick lower
c)change attack or release settings on the compressor.

one of those will sort it out.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

If you want the sidechain/pump effect on the bass even when the kick isn't playing, create a pattern on a separate track which is just for the sidechain input. You wont hear this kick but it will provide the ducking effect for the bass and when your regular kick is muted, the bass wont be affected.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

if i didn't want to use sidechain while the kick is off... just automate it and call it a day.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest