Where are you at in your productions?

- ask away
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Where are you at in your productions?

Post by mlexicon »

I mean what's exciting you about your sound right now?

for me im really enjoying my methods in sampling (sometimes a really lengthy and confusing process) and digging out the specific frequencies im after to make something fresh in my mind. I stopped listening to what i knew sounded best at at a certain point and just started trying the opposite and work my way back towards some standard.

also my sequencing, i feel recently i was able to let the grid go, which for some can be a really hard thing. It's safe and it will more often than not sound good, but completely letting go and let your emotions do the sequencing seems to be ideal for me. Theres things in there that I know visually are wrong, but its my ears that do the real judging.

so that's where im at.
signatures suck
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

it's all about harmony and melody for me now. i use to make music that was purely about the groove, my tracks were basically just drums, bass line and some effects. but i've been learning about music theory and it's opened up a whole new world of possibilities. i always aim to make groovy music and melodies really help the funk.
KrisM
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by KrisM »

Lately it's been sampling and seeing what sounds I can actually get out of a given sample. I'm pretty good at programming synths, but using a sampler for sound design was a weak area for me.

I'm also really into experimenting with Numerology and anything else non-standard I can get my hands on.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Definitely sampling.
Last summer i got really into sampling and now im drenched in it. The thing is I think that subtractive and FM synthesis has been milked to death now. I doubt that a lot of new sounds can be made with those tools.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i have to say i'm pretty excited about everything to do with making music. synthesis, recording, using effects to manipulate sounds... it's all good.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

tone-def wrote:i have to say i'm pretty excited about everything to do with making music. synthesis, recording, using effects to manipulate sounds... it's all good.
I go thru phases. i remember when I first started playing around with electronic music. everything was so fresh and I was always moving thru ideas without thinking so much. I got a bit stale recently but maybe selling 70% of my set up and moving into new machines will be a good potion for that.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

right this minute, wacking random loops and samples through a midi chorder in kontakt and messing around with the start and end points and ADSR settings... just started so theres still loads of stuff to keep me occupied for a bit!
NewSc2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by NewSc2 »

Right now I've been experimenting with evolving sounds. Sounds that subtly change timbre over time, either via Automation, delays, LFOs. Leads, drones, pads... Mostly knob-turning changes but also gradual LFO and phase stuff.