How do you give mnml tracks that subby-sounding space?

- ask away
workistorture
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

How do you give mnml tracks that subby-sounding space?

Post by workistorture »

"R+S+ - matthew dear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5fcz5mn57U

It's really hard to describe but it's basically that low end of the track I posted above is something I really love about mnml music....it's that space that it gives but it does so without being so blatantly in-your-face..

http://soundcloud.com/sei-a/portishead- ... do-re-edit

^just to get my idea cross better, this track kind of has that same idea, too especially in the drop....

but anyway I was wondering if anyone could give some pointers as to how to go about getting that kind of 'subby-sounding space', if you will as well as how you would mix that sound with the kick so they both don't fight for the same spot..
Daemonix
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Daemonix »

might sound stupid.. but for me it sounds like a good reverb (maybe something with metallic reflections)?!?! maybe

sounds like bass or BD on a large metallic tank
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Reverb. It's not just about using a reverb on a send, you could for example, 'print' the wet recording to audio, loop it up seamlessly in a sampler and stick it on a buss where it's sidechained to the kick.

Then treat it as any other sound, maybe a HP filter and LP filter to get it dull but not boomy, sit it low in the mix and experiment to 'gel' it into the track.
Cheaper
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Cheaper »

i'm getting good results right now by putting reverb as insert on the bass channels with loads of filtering etc....

I'm into Miro Pajic-style basslines atm :D
soundcloud.com/capsularecordings
BigPoe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BigPoe »

Cheaper wrote:i'm getting good results right now by putting reverb as insert on the bass channels with loads of filtering etc....

I'm into Miro Pajic-style basslines atm :D
+1

I'm also experimenting with using reverb on a send and panning the send to one side.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

be careful with panning bass sounds if you plan on eventually putting it to vinyl. It'll make the needle jump out.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Torque wrote:be careful with panning bass sounds if you plan on eventually putting it to vinyl. It'll make the needle jump out.
Noob question:

Is this also a problem if you play a wav/mp3 through serato/traktor? (vinyl control)
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

patrick bateman wrote:
Torque wrote:be careful with panning bass sounds if you plan on eventually putting it to vinyl. It'll make the needle jump out.
Noob question:

Is this also a problem if you play a wav/mp3 through serato/traktor? (vinyl control)
no
because the sound isn't actually on the vinyl.
You can pan all you want with anything digital without having to worry about that.