What gives the housey feeling?

- ask away
aciduss
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

What gives the housey feeling?

Post by aciduss »

What makes it different from straigh serious techno?
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: What gives the housey feeling?

Post by Torque »

aciduss wrote:What makes it different from straigh serious techno?
It's purpose
(okay that's probably too simple of an explanation)

House music's only purpose is to make people dance. The rhythms are usually swung and more organic feeling.

Techno is a musical representation of the future. Sometimes it makes people dance but that's not really what it's soul purpose is. The beats are usually much more mechanical and it usually has a cold and dark feeling to it. I rarely hear techno that sounds happy.

i hope this made sense to somebody else besides me.
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

Last edited by Martian Telecom on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

House is a feeling.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: What gives the housey feeling?

Post by steevio »

Torque wrote:
aciduss wrote:What makes it different from straigh serious techno?
It's purpose
(okay that's probably too simple of an explanation)

House music's only purpose is to make people dance. The rhythms are usually swung and more organic feeling.

Techno is a musical representation of the future. Sometimes it makes people dance but that's not really what it's soul purpose is. The beats are usually much more mechanical and it usually has a cold and dark feeling to it. I rarely hear techno that sounds happy.

i hope this made sense to somebody else besides me.
(i'm not sure what aciduss means by 'straight serious techno')

we have a completely different view of techno in the UK and Europe,

techno is dance music for us.

not all techno is cold and dark, it depends which techno you listen to.

i'm not sure there is a clear distinction when you listen to the borderline stuff. theres techy house music, and housey techno.

alot of good techno has swung beats also, as the TR909 drum machine was and still is heavily used in house and techno, but the generally slower beats of house lend themselves to more extreme shuffles, which sound wrong at faster tempos.

house is more heavily dominated by the 2/4 snare/handclap rhythm and obvious basslines than techno, which is generally more tribal rhythmically.

i suppose you could say house is more likely to follow conventional musical scales, whereas techno is more free and experimental.

these description can only ever be personal, everyone has different experiences. to some techno is a dark, foreboding, industrial nightmarish sound scape, to others its a spirtual deep souful experience, the latter description could also well describe some peoples feelings toward house, whereas to others its cheesey disco music.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

I'd have a hard job of defining this because of the borderline music that exists in the realm between Techno and House ( Tech House? ) but I'd probably agree with Steevio regarding the diatonic scales used that seem so prevalent in straight up House stuff.

It was probably easier to see the separation years ago when a lot of straight up House stuff would use live instruments, brass, Pianos, EP's and vocal stuff with traditional intro/verse/chorus etc arrangements. Obviously the darker, more cool House wouldn't adhere to such arrangement structure but this example is going a bit extreme I think.

Techno, the stuff I like, still has a lot of shuffle going on, it's funky without being cheezy and forward thinking musically. Not shying away from dissonance and more musically challenging and experimental. Whether the 16ths are swung or straight is not something I'd use to define Techno but rather the musical content.

I also don't see techno as necessarily pushing out a 4 to the floor kick routine. A lot of the old 'Electro' I was into has also been suggested as techno. A particular track I am thinking of is Clear by Juan Atkins/Cybotron. The beats maybe Electro as this was the trend at the time but the musical content just sounded different. So it could be that the music itself is a defining factor.

I'm just giving educated guesses though as I can't say for sure. I don't care either, never liked pigeon-holing music. It is what it is, that's enough for me. :)
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

Interesting topic :D