What gives the housey feeling?

- ask away
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

steevio wrote:
techno means so many different things to different people, everything from Basic Channel up to Gabba.

there is no definitive techno.
I think the stuff that Juan Atkins made was pretty definitive.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

^^^
its certainly definitive of a certain chapter and style of techno.

i don't know if i would have listened to much techno over the last 10 years if the boundaries were limited to just that however.

obviously atkins is great but to narrow the view to that level means you just miss out on the diversity that makes music worth talking about.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

Narrow?
Have you listened to the entire catalog of music that he's done?
I can't think of many artists in electronic music that are more varied than Juan.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

Yes, he's very versitile and i love loads of his records, but it wouldn't be enough for me all the time. this is no slight on his backcatalogue, its just about the need for diversity.

In the same way i couldn't just read one writers books or one directors films. doesn't mean their scope of work is too narrow, just that i need more than just one genre/artist.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

Atheory wrote:Yes, he's very versitile and i love loads of his records, but it wouldn't be enough for me all the time. this is no slight on his backcatalogue, its just about the need for diversity.

In the same way i couldn't just read one writers books or one directors films. doesn't mean their scope of work is too narrow, just that i need more than just one genre/artist.
i agree, i love juan atkins, and he was a true pioneer, but techno didnt stop at his door. it evolved into a myriad of forms very quickly so that if you were getting into the music in the late eighties, it was very difficult to pinpoint where it came from.
maybe the only definitive techno was Kraftwerk, the guys who influenced Juan himself.

within a couple of years techno was a worldwide phenomema of great diversity, much of it bearing little resemblance to Detroit techno.
what juan did was open the floodgates, and without him and the other pioneers we probably wouldnt have a music called techno.

i only got sucked into this thread because i thought techno was getting a hard time being labelled as dark and mechanical and not really music to dance to, and i think Juan is great example of why thats not true. those detroit guys had the soul and the funk, when in europe the techno in many cases was how Torque described it.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

This is why I love this place.... :lol:
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

god I really hate this kind of sound, its too old for me... I cant move on it, just my taste. sorry for that
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

I know its old but..."Without him you cant have what you're listening right now". okay