villalobos about ableton

- ask away
Storlon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Storlon »

hydrogen wrote: needless to say i'm back to ableton live. which is crashing on me about every 5 minutes now. :D
hehe, even Claude Young and Kenny Larkin are fighting about this one on the abl board ;)
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

hydrogen wrote:
Torque wrote:no fx
just 9 tracks of audio already set at the correct levels for the mix so you don't have to touch the sliders
in my case they were all recorded in from hardware already set to the right levels for a rough mix
all at 44.1, 16 bit
make sure the master volume isn't clipping on either
output the mix into 44.1, 16bit
put them both in soundforge and normalise them both
and listen
Torque, I hate this topic as much as everyone else here. I also went through a whole switching daw phase a couple months ago. nightmare... for sure but i learned a lot about the tools i was using.

3 questions 4 you :)

1. What levels was your master at? What levels were your faders at?

2. And why were you using 16bit audio to start? live will need to up-sample this to 32bit before summing, which is not a neutral operation. Sonar is likely better sounding upsampling in realtime... Ableton even recommends that you don't work with 16bit audio in the manual.

3. What was your listening test. Did you do blind A/B test?
idlemode wrote:what warp settings we're applied to the tracks? if you didn't turn off warping and that would have effected the sound.
Please, of the warping already. We all know this is a non-neutral operation in ableton live and affects the sound rendered or unrendered.
i had all the warp settings off and all the master levels were as high as they could be without clipping

i don't really know why i was using 16 bit
maybe cause the majority of stuff seems to be in 16 bit
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

Torque wrote: i had all the warp settings off and all the master levels were as high as they could be without clipping

i don't really know why i was using 16 bit
maybe cause the majority of stuff seems to be in 16 bit
...if you ever give ableton a go another time... Try your recording into 24 or 32 bit. makes a huge difference. Also, keep peaks below -6db or even -12db in all your signal chains. all the way to the master.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Minimal Samples
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Minimal Samples »

Why not take your entire digital mix and record it to 1/4 inch tape thought a nice mastering compressor and stereo expander then make your master vinyl from that?
http://minimalsamples.com - Submit 20 original minimal loops & samples and get the entire archive for free.

Techno & Minimal Techno News Blog
xxmmxx
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by xxmmxx »

man, i am so sick and tired of these old school dinosaurs like villabolos and people like that making outrageous claims like he can hear the difference between programs. Like a previous poster has said before, put the same loop in ableton and logic and cubase and export the sucker and it will sound identical. i don't know what people like villabolos are trying to prove - perhaps that they have super human hearing? That still doesnt mean anything in a nightclub that is so loud that u need earplugs - or when you listen to tracks on your ipod, or anywhere for that matter. A good track is a good track regardless of where or how it was made - that is what music is about. my advice to all the producers just starting out, ALWAYS take interviews like this one with a grain of salt, do your own thing the way that you want to and using whatever you want - and dont let some purist spoil your fun by making you think that your gear isnt good enough, because it is.
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

xxmmxx wrote:man, i am so sick and tired of these old school dinosaurs like villabolos and people like that making outrageous claims like he can hear the difference between programs. Like a previous poster has said before, put the same loop in ableton and logic and cubase and export the sucker and it will sound identical. i don't know what people like villabolos are trying to prove - perhaps that they have super human hearing? That still doesnt mean anything in a nightclub that is so loud that u need earplugs - or when you listen to tracks on your ipod, or anywhere for that matter. A good track is a good track regardless of where or how it was made - that is what music is about. my advice to all the producers just starting out, ALWAYS take interviews like this one with a grain of salt, do your own thing the way that you want to and using whatever you want - and dont let some purist spoil your fun by making you think that your gear isnt good enough, because it is.
here you have completely missed the point
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

xxmmxx wrote: old school dinosaurs like villabolos
:?
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

xxmmxx wrote:man, i am so sick and tired of these old school dinosaurs like villabolos and people like that making outrageous claims like he can hear the difference between programs. Like a previous poster has said before, put the same loop in ableton and logic and cubase and export the sucker and it will sound identical. i don't know what people like villabolos are trying to prove - perhaps that they have super human hearing? That still doesnt mean anything in a nightclub that is so loud that u need earplugs - or when you listen to tracks on your ipod, or anywhere for that matter. A good track is a good track regardless of where or how it was made - that is what music is about. my advice to all the producers just starting out, ALWAYS take interviews like this one with a grain of salt, do your own thing the way that you want to and using whatever you want - and dont let some purist spoil your fun by making you think that your gear isnt good enough, because it is.
this one made me jump on my seat, i would like to make clear a couple of points:

it is not so outrageous to be able to recognize some particularities of a software, there are people which are able to transcribe a whole score (all parts) without any instrument at their disposal (just paper and pen), and they are not super human... just trained.
to criticize people that hear something you can't hear yourself is also not wise imo.
in a club with a good PA system you will hear details that you can't hear at home, this is not an argument.
ipod and mp3 are not the only way to listen to music, it is not a reference for sound quality.

and the "old dinosaur" has nothing to prove, it is already proved since a long time...