Djing Digital or CD?

- ask away
Myfirstcasio
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Djing Digital or CD?

Post by Myfirstcasio »

Hello,

I have had a little look around the forum but nothing has quite answered this for me...

I have been producing for a while and I want to get into DJ a bit, mostly for personal amusement in my room but also with an eye to develop further if get any good.

Firstly, Should I get a CDJ set up or Digital - I don't want to spend alot on intital kit so I have considered a midi mixer (which I may also want to use with my current production set up) with the idea that I could learn CD mixing at a later date when I have decided I enjoy it but I wonder if it would be better to invest in some CDJ's and a mixer now (obviously a lot more cash monies) as I have been told by friends that it would teach me stronger basic skills?

Secondly, what kit would people recommend
- I have looked into the Nocturn as it would be a good all rounder (for production/live as well)for me but I have heard that its build isn't great. I also have a friend who uses the BCD3000 and is very happy with it. I haven't looked into CDJ setups much but I guess it would cost a whole lot more so due to the extra cost I would want to buy something that will last like a good Pioneer setup. If I settle for digital I would be happier to buy a cheaper controller as it would also be more likely that I would upgrade later anyway.

I have not considered turntables as of yet as I own a lot of digital and CD releases and the only vinyl I have is old Iron Maiden LPs :D but if anyone feels that it is be best option for beginners please let me know!

I hope this all makes sense, thanks in advance for any help or info offered. 8)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

go with the CDJ's. any of the pioneers are good enough.

the best thing about playing with CD's is if you loose your bag it's not such a big deal. buy when your laptop goes missing you'll :cry:
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Maybe start with the smaller CDJ's and see if this DJ'ing thing is for you at all?
Myfirstcasio
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Myfirstcasio »

Cheers for the input Tone Def, I have looked a bit more into this and it doesn't look like an option as I will be forking out about £500-600 minimum. I can't aford that in the near future but I would like to get started soon! I won't be playing out any time soon so loosing my computer is not really an immediate worry (and I back up all music anyway as if it was a digital perchase it will be Wav and that would be a lot of money wasted if I did lose it). Also, $600 is a lot of money if I don't enjoy mixing much (As I produce I would be worried that I would just ditch mixing in favor of playing live should I not enjoy it enough).

Do you think there is anything point in getting a midi controller to use for now, if I spend £150-200 now I don't think it will be much of a loss if I change to CDJ's further down the line.
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

Personnaly I have some fun to dj with a midi controller on traktor. :)
MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE »

Go with CD's / Mixer.

I find laptop DJ'ing very "dull" in that the resolution of the controls is CRAP.

Nothing beats a real mixer and good quality set of decks.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

MINIMALTECHNOHOUSE wrote:Go with CD's / Mixer.

I find laptop DJ'ing very "dull" in that the resolution of the controls is CRAP.

Nothing beats a real mixer and good quality set of decks.
Yeah, I agree. Controlling an internal mixer on your laptop with a MIDI controller is a big bag of balls. Note this does NOT apply to Traktor/Serato scratch timecode vinyl, which feels as fast as real vinyl (or at least fast enough that you can't tell the difference) - I'm talking about using a MIDI controller for faders and EQ, etc.

I play mostly vinyl and sometimes CD, but if you can't afford turntables, one thing you could do for the time being is buy a cheap (but real) mixer and a midi controller to control the decks, plus an audio interface if you don't already have one. It's not ideal, but if you're not scratching you don't need a massively fast response from the decks themselves. The advantage is that instead of spending lots of hundreds on a pair of decks, you could spend a fewer number of hundreds on an audio interface, controller and software (traktor/equivalent). IIRC the behringer BCD3000 actually includes an audio interface and retails for about £150; whether said interface has two stereo outs (so you can use it with a mixer) i'm not sure. I wouldn't gig with it because it feels cheap and horrible but it's ok for learning if you've got a real mixer.

TJ
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

Buy a second hand pair of Pioneer CDJ800s. You'll prob get a set for £400-500 and if DJing isnt for you then you'll easily be able to sell them for as much as you bought them for.