mpc 1000 vs Maschine

- ask away
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

y- dawg, I heard that what is old is new again. When I heard that sh!t I sold my macbook for ketamine and an Ellene Alline dress and starting producing on an ESI-32 and a spring reverb.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

Atheory wrote:
thomasjaldemark wrote:
Martian Telecom wrote:Yo, I heard that it isn't fashionable to make mnml on a laptop anymore.

I heard the new trend is to squirrel out with hardware on 300 pressing white white labels distributed by hardwax.

I am going to by an emax because I want people to think I am totally real like someone from Detroit.
thats the funniest thing i read in a while ^^ so true.
Yeah, funny stuff.

The part where he called white labels a new trend in dance music (despite them being a huge part of the culture for 20plus years) had me rolling on the floor.

Other trends Martin Telecom may be calling over the next few weeks.

-The birth of Acid house
-A new street drug called Ecstasy
-1929 Wall Street Crash
Oh jeez, lighten up. Of course white labels aren't a new phenomenon, but you surely must have noticed the proliferation of anonymous techno releases in the past couple of years, linked to the Berghain/hardwax/mnmlssgs kind of sound. I for one thought his post was pretty funny.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

I dunno, they haven't exactly went away. Sure the hardwax thing, but i dunno, if you'd been buying records ten years ago you wouldn't think it was a NEW thing. If you read Resident Advisor as your main source of whats good/bad/going on maybe you would think its a NEW trend.

I just find it boring to listen to people regurgitate the same old cliches, all the time. drugs, fashion, ketamine. What next? The scarf? Has anyone notice the scarf thing? Boring. Boring. Boring. Get a few of your own thoughts. Its so lazy.

People were posting about their workflow preferences which could lead to more interesting thoughts about software or hardware but instead we have to read a smug, arrogant and largely innaccurate post.

To summarise what he was saying: People buy hardware cause they think it makes them cool?
Boring pop psychology.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i've noticed more and more people vocalsing their issues with computers. i guess Ableton is partially indirectly to blame (i.e. cos of the number of people doing boring stuff with it).

Anyways. Computers aren't naturally musical but they represent some of the most advanced technology of our time condensed into a user friendly machine. Which is a good and bad thing in equal measure.

Whatever works for individual people. I'm a bit annoyed by the computer recently but I don't think I'll ever be able to leave it.
nrjizer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nrjizer »

Martian Telecom wrote:Yo, I heard that it isn't fashionable to make mnml on a laptop anymore.

I heard the new trend is to squirrel out with hardware on 300 pressing white white labels distributed by hardwax.

I am going to by an emax because I want people to think I am totally real like someone from Detroit.
Would an MPC help me get a whitelabel out and distributed on hardwax? Please let me know so that I can go ahead sell whatever I need to sell in order to get one! I'm so excited to be a real underground producer! Do you think the guys from DEMF will contact me after a few releases?
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

Would an MPC help me get a whitelabel out and distributed on hardwax? Please let me know so that I can go ahead sell whatever I need to sell in order to get one! I'm so excited to be a real underground producer! Do you think the guys from DEMF will contact me after a few releases?
WHAT AN AMAZIN' POST, FINALLY SOMEBODY IS CUTTING TO THE CHASE!!!

this is a hard question to answer because MNML SSGS and Little White Earbudz have not officially stated what gear is most relevant in 2010. The important part about producing is staying relevant, and I heard that computers are totally not relevant this year.

I think you shouldn't buy a modern akai, because those samplers are not as real as the older samplers akai made before they were purchased by numark. I think your safest bet for an rackmount would be anything before the S3200. In fact I think the s2800 might be the most relevant 16 bit sampler for 2010 because the custom ram chips make your beats sound fatter.

I heard Theo Parrish uses an akai s612, a tr505 and a reel to reel to make his sh!t. you know he is totally real like a record store. he exists!

Also, all relvant producers will need a modular synthesizer in 2010. If you don't have a modular, you're completely fucked. modulars are great because you can pose in front of them shitz and it looks way more real than posing infront of your MAX/MSP patch like you are some Kit Clayton in 2003 type producer.

as far as playing the demf, that sh!t is important. I heard that it is way more relevant to play there than Mutek or Sonar because they don't speak english in portugal or norway or where ever they have those festivals and that is totally euro. if you play your cards right you could be the next clause von stroke. that guy is awesome because he sounds like a euro dude but is really american!

demf is hard now because tricking people into thinking you are a black americam is a really importnat part of being underground right now, but black amrican people aren't allowed to play at the demf anymore. you see a aspiring underground producers dilemma. I would put out white labels with a stamped name that sounds like africa but is really like a normal safe euro dance records. if you successfully trick other europeans for like five records in a row, then you are allowed to tell people you are from Stuttgart. that is so underground!
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

^^^^

thanks for effectively reposting that dj bone interview from last year.

but how do YOU feel about these issues?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i thought you put white labels out because it was cheaper.

being cool never crossed my mind.