mpc 1000 vs Maschine

- ask away
nrjizer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by nrjizer »

I think I'm leaning towards an MPC because if, god forbid, anything ever happened to my laptop, I could still make music purely on the MPC and my hardsynths, since my MOTU has some meager built in effects which could probably hold me over.
Martian Telecom
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Martian Telecom »

Yo, I heard that it isn't fashionable to make mnml on a laptop anymore.

I heard the new trend is to squirrel out with hardware on 300 pressing white white labels distributed by hardwax.

I am going to by an emax because I want people to think I am totally real like someone from Detroit.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

damagedgoods wrote:
moessap wrote:
Torque wrote:The whole idea of comparing an MPC to Machine is preposterous

The MPC sounds a fuckload better than any software i've messed with.
agree ;)
FWIW, the next Maschine update will have SP1200 and MPC60 emulation modes. ;)
My MPC 2000XL will sound better playing samples of those machines than Machine will emulating them. Trust me bro i've played with both of them. In order to get machine to stand up to an MPC you would have to buy a soundcard in the $1000 and up range and it still wouldn't sample in outside sources as well.

Alright folks, here's my advice. Don't bullshit around. Don't bother with Machine or Battery or any of that stuff and don't even bother with an MPC 1000. The best bang for your buck is an MPC 2000XL with a flash/sd card reader, ram, SMPTE and the 8 output expansion. You can score ones for around $400. It'll be the best money you ever spend.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

gosh wrote:
What's your work-flow? Do you sequence synths on MPC solely or do you sequence in DAW and import midi-files to MPC?

Questions, questions! Remind me how great my MPC is please!!
You can midi up your keyboard to an mpc and have it record all of the keys you hit and the knob movements. you can record all your midi stuff with it and have it spit it right back at the instruments. The MPC is actually better at doing this than it is at sampling and theres no latency. The 2500 is even better than mine with all that stuff.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

Torque wrote:
damagedgoods wrote:
moessap wrote:
Torque wrote:The whole idea of comparing an MPC to Machine is preposterous

The MPC sounds a fuckload better than any software i've messed with.
agree ;)
FWIW, the next Maschine update will have SP1200 and MPC60 emulation modes. ;)
My MPC 2000XL will sound better playing samples of those machines than Machine will emulating them. Trust me bro i've played with both of them. In order to get machine to stand up to an MPC you would have to buy a soundcard in the $1000 and up range and it still wouldn't sample in outside sources as well.
That's simply not true. If the OP keeps the computer in his setup then he's gonna be putting the output of the MPC through whatever soundcard he's using anyway, so the transparency of a $1000 interface is completely moot. In any case, the performance of stuff like Maschine is much more down to CPU and RAM than what soundcard you've got.

You missed the point of my post - if you have access to an SP1200 to record some samples, pitch them up or down, and then record them onto your MPC2000XL - then more power to you. Why emulate when you can have the real thing, of course. But if you don't have an SP1200 then an emulation will get you a lot closer than no emulation, and I don't think buying one was ever the OP's plan?

BTW, I'm not knocking MPCs at all; they're great, especially if you work mostly with hardware. Just keen to dispel some myths about the other side.

(PS. Battery is a drum sampler and doesn't even come close to feeling like a groovebox; there's no hardware for a start...)
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

Martian Telecom wrote:Yo, I heard that it isn't fashionable to make mnml on a laptop anymore.

I heard the new trend is to squirrel out with hardware on 300 pressing white white labels distributed by hardwax.

I am going to by an emax because I want people to think I am totally real like someone from Detroit.
thats the funniest thing i read in a while ^^ so true.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

damagedgoods wrote:
That's simply not true. If the OP keeps the computer in his setup then he's gonna be putting the output of the MPC through whatever soundcard he's using anyway, so the transparency of a $1000 interface is completely moot. In any case, the performance of stuff like Maschine is much more down to CPU and RAM than what soundcard you've got.

You missed the point of my post - if you have access to an SP1200 to record some samples, pitch them up or down, and then record them onto your MPC2000XL - then more power to you. Why emulate when you can have the real thing, of course. But if you don't have an SP1200 then an emulation will get you a lot closer than no emulation, and I don't think buying one was ever the OP's plan?

BTW, I'm not knocking MPCs at all; they're great, especially if you work mostly with hardware. Just keen to dispel some myths about the other side.

(PS. Battery is a drum sampler and doesn't even come close to feeling like a groovebox; there's no hardware for a start...)
More RAM and cpu will not make a bad soundcard sound better. You also don't have to monitor your MPC through your soundcard, you can just run it through your mixer straight to your monitors. There are also a ton of SP1200 samples out there so you probably wouldn't even need to record it yourself. I've used one before and honestly i don't think the sound of an SP1200 is really worth chasing after anymore with much better sounding machines out there.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

thomasjaldemark wrote:
Martian Telecom wrote:Yo, I heard that it isn't fashionable to make mnml on a laptop anymore.

thats the funniest thing i read in a while ^^ so true.
Yeah, funny stuff.

The part where he called white labels a new trend in dance music (despite them being a huge part of the culture for 20plus years) had me rolling on the floor.

Other trends Martin Telecom may be calling over the next few weeks.

-The birth of Acid house
-A new street drug called Ecstasy
-1929 Wall Street Crash