mpc 1000 vs Maschine

- ask away
nrjizer
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

mpc 1000 vs Maschine

Post by nrjizer »

I'd like to add some sort of hardware drum interface to my setup, something that will let me do hands on drum programming and possibly a bit of live work. The NI Maschine looks nice, especially because I like to run most of my percussion samples through some reverb and/or delay in Logic, and from what I understand the Maschine plugin allows you to send/receive individual samples to aux channels or whatnot. The MPC does have 4 individual outs though, which should be sufficient for sending different portions of the rhythm to different effects.

I'm sure the Maschine's software interface would be easier to work with than a little MPC screen, though the drawback is possible unreliability with the software and whatever various quirks it has. The pricetag for Maschine is pretty steep too.

I'm pretty torn right now, does anyone have any input or advice? I'm open to other suggestions, too.
manzatour
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by manzatour »

maschine: more versatile, less recording problems, better integration, no memory limits, cheaper...
shypht
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by shypht »

I've never used an MPC, but I got a Maschine a few weeks ago.

I've mostly been using it in Standalone mode, but have tried it as a hosted VST a bit also.

The hardware has a pretty solid feel, and once you get used to using it, you can pretty quickly start creating some neat stuff.

The integration with the software is really nice, and seems like NI is going to be providing frequent patches / updates / etc to reduce glitches, increase functionality / etc.

You can easily start building loops / songs without even needing to look at the computer screen, but when you need to get a look at the bigger picture it's really handy being able to go to the software and see everything.

In the Maschine, you get 2 effects per pad/sound, each group can also have effects applied to it, and then you can have effects on the master.

Each pad also has some default effects : compressor, saturator, bit rate and sample rate, and a selectable low pass/band pass/high pass/EQ section. Combined with the sends/etc, and you have quite a bit of options for effects within the maschine.

I like how the step-mode is implemented. You can say, quickly switch to step mode to program out a basic structure, then leave step mode and do some live-drumming over top.

The 'note repeat' feature is also very cool, and with the way the pads respond to velocity, it's pretty quick to make some neat sounding rhythms/etc with each note having it's own velocity/etc.

I don't have experience with other hardware to really compare, but the Maschine is pretty neat.
Atheory
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Atheory »

a house is not a home without an mpc.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

FWIW, the Maschine library sounds, presets and kits are very good for many genres. Of course you'll want to do some tweaking etc, but the library presets are really great from a workflow point of view because you can load up one of many decent-sounding kits and immediately start bashing out an idea that's just come to you. I've never used an MPC so am not really in a position to compare the two, but I can't imagine it would have the same kind of load-and-go functionality?

There's a new free update coming soon as well:

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... hp?t=80682
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Atheory wrote:a house is not a home without an mpc.
lol
moessap
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by moessap »

I m just dreaming in a near futur of an update which allow you to add more than 2 effects on maschine !!!
minormal
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by minormal »

The thing is with Maschine it will get better and better due to the software updates. v1.5 is out soon and it looks mega!