drum machine+sequencer....

- ask away
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

I have owned all of the drum machines in question and by far the Machinedrum is the best for live performance. It is the only one I have kept, I sold all my other drum machines.

I also like it best in the studio, but I don't want to get into a sound preference war for the sake of the original poster.

If you want mad flexibility, unbelievable bass, fx, and a sequencer that can drive outboard very easily, there is no better drum machine than the machinedrum imo.

If you have the cash, get the mk2 brand new. The balanced outputs instantly do away with a lot of the sound complaints people usually make about the MD.

Also make sure to get a UW model, the nice 12 bit sampling in the ROM section is worth it as is the real-time sample mangling powers of the RAM recorders.

Just the best drum machine ever, IMO.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
Opuswerk
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Opuswerk »

what vicotrjohn said basically.

Although, I would also hint at maschine, even though you said you wanted to get away from the computer, as every aspect of Maschine can be controlled via the hardware, and it basically makes a super pimped up MPC. Plus the next soft update promises quite a lot. I have bought one, but haven't had time to try it out yet because of too much uni work. Will keep you posted as to how it compares to the MD, as I also own one.
Opuswerk is now Hendrik van Boetzelaer
Links / Latest News : https://linktr.ee/opuswerk

www.soundcloud.com/opuswerk
www.instagram.com/opuswerk
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

Thanks for all you comments guys. @victorjohn i would definitely go for uw mk2, as it also doubles the sequence step length to 64 if i'm right. in fact i think you have convinced me.... it is something I have wanted for a long time, just haven't quite been able to bite the bullet price wise!!!

i do like the look of the jomox too, but the machinedrum does seem to offer alot more flexibility for the my live....
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

I wouldn't get the 999 for live use. It's great in the studio, but it's not exactly a fun machine to jam with since the sequencer is a bit of a bitch. Elektron gear is great for live playing however, probably the best HW sequencers ever. The sounds aren't as excellent out of the box like Jomox or some other gear, but once you get a jam going playing stuff live is great. Sometimes it's actually a bit too great, I got a Monomachine and often when I make a nice loop I just jam with it. For hours. For days. Great fun, I just wish I learned to make actual songs one day.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

so what's so good about this sequencer? people go on and on about how amazing it is but i've never really looked into it. i love the simplicity of the electribe sequencers for playing live. how is the machinedrum different?
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Dude, those machinedrums are fucking insane money. You can get a 909 in perfect working condition for less. Just sayin.

Personally, I'd grab the DRM. 100% analog wickedness. I love that thing. It's definitely not setup for live like the others, but I like the sound of it way more.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

tone-def wrote:so what's so good about this sequencer? people go on and on about how amazing it is but i've never really looked into it. i love the simplicity of the electribe sequencers for playing live. how is the machinedrum different?
Its actually very similar in ways to the electribe stuff. Korg motion sequences = Elektron parameter locks, etc. In some regards they are very similar.

What makes the MD so magical to me is the ability to make any of the 16 parts whatever "machine" you want, plus the CTRL-machines and RAM-machines are insane. The ease with which you can set up a dedicated outgoing MIDI part is amazing. I just love the thing.

On a side note too, the Elektron build quality is second to none. The damn thing is just so quality.
"Why does this process have to be SO complex" -- Ritardo Montalban
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

oh i would love the drm and some soquencer its cheaper than all of those and its just so knob tweaking madness
its all about the rhythm