converting tracks from logic --> Live

- ask away
catchpenny
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

converting tracks from logic --> Live

Post by catchpenny »

Hi there,

I like the idea of creating loops and parts of songs in logic so i can use all its synths + plugins, then importing them to ableton to play around with structuring a track.

I think this is quite a common way of working and i was wondering if any of you could talk me through how you do it because they way im trying it seems really unwieldy.

I'll make various loops ie hats, kick, bass and synth parts. then solo each one and hit "bounce" in logic, saving each part as something like "hats 1.wav" then drag each part into a clip in live.

problem is they dont always seem to bounce how they are intended, like there will be the first beet missing or something.

is there an easier and cleaner way of doing this?

thanks, and sorry for long windedness!
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: converting tracks from logic --> Live

Post by clubfoot »

catchpenny wrote: problem is they dont always seem to bounce how they are intended, like there will be the first beet missing or something.

is there an easier and cleaner way of doing this?

thanks, and sorry for long windedness!
logic has a problem with the first note if you have the start marker set to start at that point - when recording anything in logic, always give yourself a bit of lead in. You will then have to trim that lead-in off. So if you want to record say a 1 bar loop, set your record-start-point 1 bar early. So you'll actually record 2 bars and then just trim down. I usually give a bit of lead out at the end also. The reason for this is that, when you record a synth line out from logic and back in, there will be latency. I know exactly how much latency to trim off. With the lead out on my recorded bit of audio, my loop won't become shorter than it should be. I hope that all makes some sense. You have to be pretty surgical about all this otherwise you'll have lots of floppy loops that don't quite fit when you put them back together in ableton.

this is also discussed a bit here i think: http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=53765

btw, don't use 'bounce' in logic. this is digital rendering. try to record real audio out from logic and back into logic. It's better quality - recording not processing.[/url]
catchpenny
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by catchpenny »

clubfoot wrote:
logic has a problem with the first note if you have the start marker set to start at that point - when recording anything in logic, always give yourself a bit of lead in. You will then have to trim that lead-in off. So if you want to record say a 1 bar loop, set your record-start-point 1 bar early. So you'll actually record 2 bars and then just trim down. I usually give a bit of lead out at the end also. The reason for this is that, when you record a synth line out from logic and back in, there will be latency. I know exactly how much latency to trim off. With the lead out on my recorded bit of audio, my loop won't become shorter than it should be. I hope that all makes some sense. You have to be pretty surgical about all this otherwise you'll have lots of floppy loops that don't quite fit when you put them back together in ableton.
This makes sense i think, thank you.
btw, don't use 'bounce' in logic. this is digital rendering. try to record real audio out from logic and back into logic. It's better quality - recording not processing.[/url]
Do you mean i have to take a line out from my sound card and back in to "rerecord" it?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

logic has got better mixing tools so once your done with the arrangement you have to go back to logic.
catchpenny
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by catchpenny »

tone-def wrote:logic has got better mixing tools so once your done with the arrangement you have to go back to logic.
thats what i was planning. was taking kate simko for inspiration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLjyCXS5zmA
clubfoot
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by clubfoot »

catchpenny wrote: Do you mean i have to take a line out from my sound card and back in to "rerecord" it?
yeah, that's it :)
catchpenny
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by catchpenny »

Should I be doing this with ableton rewired into live or not? And if not is there a way to have both open without live automatically rewiring into logic?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

catchpenny wrote: Do you mean i have to take a line out from my sound card and back in to "rerecord" it?
only do it if you have a decent sound card. if your using some £100 M-Audio rubbish you'll be better off bouncing it.